dual system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live i an old ex council house (airey).
2 rads upstairs and 2 rads downstairs work on the front of the house, the 2 up 2 down at the rear dont, there is a new pump fitted, and the system is heated from a coal power back boiler, also when the heating is off one rad in the front bathroom still gets scolding hot, when the fire is lit. Please help.

Sponsored Links
What type of valve do have in the system?

Have you tried closing the front rads to see if the back ones heat?

The bathroom rad is probably on the hot water circuit.

turn down the bathroom one. It may be offering an easy path for the flow of water, so stealing flow from other parts. And you say it is scalding hot too.

It is quite common to have a bathroom rad that is hot all or most of the time, this is good for drying towels, but unless you keep it turned low and/or have a TRV it is wasteful of energy.

Whenever you have a system with some hot rads and some cold ones, start by turning down the hot ones. If this cures it, Balance the Radiators (see info at top of this Plumbing Forum)

I live i an old ex council house -- heated from a coal power back boiler, also when the heating is off one rad in the front bathroom still gets scolding hot, when the fire is lit. .
That one is probably on a gravity loop to act as a heat sink.......you shouldn`t be able to turn it off ;) well, you wouldn`t if I`d installed it cuz it`d have no valves :idea: the other ones that are hot can be shut as suggested....if it`s a steel panel rad like the others/modern ones....it won`t be on the hot water/secondary circuit......if it`s a heavy cast iron one , it probably is on sec .:cool:I wouldn`t worry about wasting energy from a coal fire ..........the heat`s got to go somewhere

Sponsored Links
Search existing threads on – back boiler – for additional useful info

I turned the front ones of and the rear still dont work, Ive just added some sludge remover after drainig the whole system still nothing, they have been bled and bled till I felt hot water entering then they still dont work. ?.

what colour was the water when you drained?

if you bleed a bit out, what colour is it now?

If it has gone very black, that is the sludge being softened and washed away (which is what you want).

However if there are any area which are completely blocked, the chemical will not be able to circulate there :( If you have badly sludged rads, you can take them off and squirt them through with the hosepipe in the garden, but give the chemical a couple of days first.

When you bleed the rads, does water squirt vigorously out of all of them?

Have you got any thermostatic radiator valves? these sometimes jam shut.

How long ago did it last work?

I would just like to say thankyou to all who helped, all rads now working, just turned out to be the thermostatic valves, who would have thought all four would be knackerd, apparently the system has not worked for a couple of years, as I have only lived here for a couple of weeks, thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back