One radiator is cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I live in a tenement flat and have a system of 5 radiators throughout the flat. 4 of the radiators are very hot but one of the radiators is cold.

I have bled all radiators and still the problem persists. I don\\\'t know if this matters, but the radiator that is cold is furthest away from the boiler.

Any suggestions?

Edit:-

1) Boiler make / model (gas or oil) - Gas - Celsia F1

2) What is / is not happening - one radiator is not working

3) Has ANYTHING else been done or changed recently - nothing changed at all

4) When did the problem start? - about a week ago

5) When does it happen? eg, heating coming on or going off. - when the heating is turned on.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply! :D I will go and try that now and see what happens.

KB

Well, closed all other radiators apart from the cold one and, after an hour, it is still cold....

Any other suggestions?

If it's any help, the pipe leading into the radiator is cold.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I'm pretty clueless when it come to these things.

It looks like it has a TRV at one end (the knob makes it go hot and cold and notches run from 0 to 6) but not sure if there's a difference between a TRV and a valve. This is what I used to shut off the radiators (I turned them to zero).

Yeah it does, and it's set to the highest setting.

By the way, thanks for the help on this. :D

Ok well that bulbous thing that you turn the rad off with is a trv. Now what happens is they can shut off and then not re- open. There is a pin inside that operates up an down, opening and closing the valve. What you will find is that if you take the head off the valve the pin will be down and thus the valve turned off. So to rectify this push on the pin with pliers or a hammer, give it a few gentle taps and the it will pop back up and the rad will then work.

Yes, it works when I take the head off the valve. :D

However, when I put the head back on it turns cold again (the TRV is turned full open at number 6). Maybe a fault with the TRV?

POst a pic if it has no make on it. If we can recognise it and you can get one the same and swap the head, you won't need a nasty expensive plumber, or get wet yourself ;)

Hi

I've had a similar problem, thank god I found this site! It turned out to be TRV head which was broken. The head on there at the minute is made by Myson - do I have to replace the head with another Myson, or will others work - any plumbers recommend some good value ones available online?

Thanks in anticipation!

Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back