Channeling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to run 5 Cables (2 x 2.5mm T&E, 2 x 1.5mm 3 Core and E and 1 x 1.5mm T&E) down a wall under plaster where i only have room to chase out a 100mm gap. I'd like to run the cables inside conduit/ under channeling, but i cant seem to find any wider than 38mm. and if i use two of these the cables will be packed in too tightly. Also the layer of plaster is only about 11mm thick and i dont really want to have to make a 10cm wide chase in to my ridiculously hard brickwork. Has anyone got any suggestions of what i can use to cover the cables?

Sponsored Links
are you running in a permitted route or not

if so then you can just bury the cables direct

if not then the cables must be covered with earthed metal

fp200 cable seems like a good choice here as it is thin has an earthed metal covering and is easy to terminate (unlike micc)

Now there's an interesting question. 3 of the cables are going to be on an approved route as they are dropping directly in to the back of 2 light switches, However the other two, which are connection between the CU and the ground floor socket ring aren't as they're just running floor to ceiling next to a door frame. So I guess its a case of just burying the lighting cables and putting in the earthed metal protected ones for the socket ring?

Sponsored Links
Just double checked the exact OSG wording (sect 7.3.2) and I think you are correct and will need to protect the socket cables even though they are on a vertical line with the light switch.

Good luck.

brown-nought said:
Just double checked the exact OSG wording (sect 7.3.2) and I think you are correct and will need to protect the socket cables even though they are on a vertical line with the light switch.

What makes you think that?

cableroute.png

Ryan

it specifically says at least in the regs guides i have read that the zones horizonally and vertially from assesories only apply to cables going to those accesories

Hi Ryan,

I agrre its a odd one, thats why I double checked the wording and came to the same conclusion as Plugwash.

I'll double check in the full regs later just to be sure though.

BN

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back