Replace Circuit Breaker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello There!

I have a 15amp breaker that has tripped out, and I now believe has blown. I'm trying to source a replacement, but have had no joy with any local outlets.
The make of the Circuit Board is Federal Electric - Cat No: CMD 6D4.

If anyone can point in the right direction, I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
MCBs shouldn't just 'blow'.

But I believe they found one of those breakers burried in an Egyptian Pyramid somewhere...

Does the MCB look anything like this?

WYB15.jpg

If so, it's more or less de facto standard for old CUs.
What you need to look for is where the contacts are, etc.

If it has 'blown', by modern standards the current would have had to be over 6000 amps to do any damage to it, so it may be worthwhile getting your wiring checked, as such high currents are unlikely to occur, and the MCB most likely passed away due to old age.

If it was a fault current that was causing the tripping and maybe the demise of the MCB, you should investigate further - as in this case it was tripping for a reason.

Thanks for the quick response.

I understand there is a reason for it blowing, but am keen to get my hot water back as quickly as possible. If this fixes it, I will then get an electrian in to to see why it has blown - Probably the element that sits in my water tank.

Don't believe the MCB dows look like that - It looks a lot older!

I will have a look when I get home to see what other info I can get - Will probably grab my electrician friend to help me out.

Thanks again!

DJCopa said:
I understand there is a reason for it blowing, but am keen to get my hot water back as quickly as possible. If this fixes it, I will then get an electrian in to to see why it has blown - Probably the element that sits in my water tank.

So... if there is a fault that has destroyed your MCB, you reckon replacing the MCB might do the trick? If your friend really is an electrician he should be able to test the circuit before making any decisions about rectification. Remember, the MCB is a circuit protective device; when it 'blows' it's doing its job!

Sponsored Links
the 15a breaker yo u are on about is probably a stablok type and is black in colour ,these are no longer made or stocked by anyone , however in my job i come across these a lot . if you require one it will cost you £25 +p&p or you only alternative is to change the whole consumer unit

Thanks for the offer - I've managed to source one from work, as we've just had a new circuit board installed. Quite Lucky!

Having replaced, still no hot water. However, believe the problem to be with the heating element 'furring' up, thus tripping out my breaker.
Am looking at replacing the element, and hopefully fixing my problem.

Cheers!

ZenStalinist said:
If it has 'blown', by modern standards the current would have had to be over 6000 amps to do any damage to it, so it may be worthwhile getting your wiring checked, as such high currents are unlikely to occur, and the MCB most likely passed away due to old age.

If it was a fault current that was causing the tripping and maybe the demise of the MCB, you should investigate further - as in this case it was tripping for a reason.
A PSC could well be many magnitudes of that value and if the device had through age or fault stuck slightly before tripping and it's disconnection time was out of the specified parameters then it could well have been destroyed by the current flowing through it, the current may well have degraded the wiring of the circuit also and it may be worth getting professional help in, to check otherwise.

Just arranged an electrian to come round tonight - Fingers crossed, he will sort it all out, and I can get back to normality.

Thanks for all your input - My understanding of boilers,etc. has increased 100%.

I'll leave to the experts!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back