Cold Rads Downstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Combi (Puma) Boiler. Hot Water is fine. Pump replaced last month. All Upstairs rads are RED HOT, All downstairs rads are STONE COLD. The system has been drained and refilled, All rads are balanced. Flow pipe is very hot, return pipe is cold. Pump is definately ok.

Someone suggested a possible air lock in the pipework - how would this be resolved?

Sponsored Links
try turning off all the rads that work see if you can force it round

do they have thermostatic rad valves?

Shut off all the rads barring one downstairs rad. When that one gets warm open the next and shut the last one off. Go round your system like this.
If you find a rad or two stops working then your system needs balancing.

Hi all,

Some of the Rads have TRVs others do not. I have shut off all the Rads except 1 downstairs - it gets luke warm - thats all.

I have tried this several times and still have the same problem - any other suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

Some of the Rads have TRVs others do not. I have shut off all the Rads except 1 downstairs - it gets luke warm - thats all.

I have tried this several times and still have the same problem - any other suggestions?

Theres got to be some form of blockage in that circuit then. Probably a blocked manifold but could be anywhere. Blockages usually occur near fittings and bends. Rarely on straight bits of pipe.

I would take the radiator off, flush it out and then run water through both rad valves.

Airlock in a sealed system is very unlikely, probably just full of c-rap

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back