Potterton combi 80. That bxxxdy diverter valve again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi you helpful people. I,ve been helping my son with the usual - DHW ok, no CH problem. I pretty sure it's the diverter valve. Not a problem apart from the price, but being an inquistive old sod, I want to know the detail of this valve. After looking at all the posts I fully understand how it works, but on taking the capsule part off and offering the 2 brass parts back in and checking clearances I find that there is no way it can close fully when hot because there is about a 3-4 mm gap between the seat & the valve body. This leads me to think that there originally must have been a seal of at least 4mm thickness, otherwise with that sort of gap most of the the water would divert straight back to the boiler. Can anyone enlighten me?

Sponsored Links
Yes Chris I realise that and indeed it now does after I carefully hand reamed the pin bore with a 3.5 mm drill, also the waxstat moves ok when heated in a pan of water. The problem is that with capsule part off, the small barrel with pins either end inserted into its recess hole, then the valve butted up to it there is this 3-4 mm gap between the valveand the seat.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back