How to wire 4 lights to a switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 4 lights in my living room (2 ceiling and 2 wall), all controlled from a single switch (with 4 rockers).

One of the ceiling lights no longer works and I think a wire may have come loose but I don't know how to fix it.

There are 4 cables(one to each light?)going into the switch, each containing a red and a black wire. All 4 of the reds are wired into the switch, but only one of the blacks (the other 3 black are not connected to anything). There are then a couple of small red wires linking two of reds that are connected to the switch (sorry, not a good explanation I know).

I think I\\\'ll need to attach the black wires (one, two or all three?)somewhere.

Can anybody give me a clue, submit a diagram or anything else helpful - it would be much appreciated.

Thanks. :?:

Sponsored Links
Okay, it sounds like you have normal wiring to one lighting point in the room, from which a twin cable (black and red) is used as a switch wire. The other lights are then supplied from this single source of mains potential via those three cables which use only the red conductor.

Look at the diagrams in the For reference thread at the top of the page. The one cable that has both red and black connected at the switch is the switch cable for that one light on the normal circuit. (At a guess I'd expect the red to be connected to a terminal labelled 'Common' and the black to be connected to 'L1' or '1-Way') This same red is then being linked to the top or bottom of each of the other gangs in the switchplate to supply mains potential, which is then switched, via those other reds, to each light in turn. The 'extra' blacks are not being used as they serve no purpose.

My biggest concern is how are the lights themselves being supplied with neutrals? I suspect you may well find either a single black wire with grey outer sheathing at each lighting point, or else another bit of twin cable, but this time with the red conductor unused.

Are there any CPC's (earths) at either terminals or lights|?

Either way it sounds like a lash-up and best advice would be to call in a professional.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back