Electric cooker replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace an old electric cooker with a new one but am too mean to stump up the £70 fee required by a lot of companies. Surely this is just a matter of disconnecting the wires from the old cooker and reconnecting them to the new one?

Or am I missing something?

Sponsored Links
Normally, yes. Tell us the rating in KW old and new, the length of circuit from fuse box, the cable size and the circuit protective device rating.

Where did you get £70 from?

So it is more complex than I thought.

Don't know those things off hand, I'm planning to do it for my mother so can't check now. I could easily find the KW ratings, but how would I find out the other things? If I replace the existing cooker with one of the same or lesser KW rating, would there be an issue ?

£70 is what is required by Comet for installation and delivery, other online retailers are pretty similar.

if its the same kw then it should be no issue.we still need more info though as sometimes its a 40a fuse on a 6mm etc you may need to make some simple mods,but for safety purposes we need to know the size of cable etc.
take a photo of the fuseboard with the cover off and post it up if you can.

dont take this the wrong way but if you dont know how to work that out,its probably left to a professional

Sponsored Links
£70 is what is required by Comet for installation and delivery, other online retailers are pretty similar.
Ah but by "installation" they mean one of the lads wires it to an existing cooker point and shoves it back to the wall. This is it. By going through the checks we outlined above, YOU will do a better job then them. They dont care what state your electrics are in, your cooker circuit could be run in bellwire, they aren't electricians, its not their job to know.

Gents,

Thanks for replies. Unfortunately the cooker is at my mother's 250 miles away so I can't provide any more information at this time. I've no intention of letting a delivery man change a cable for £70!! But don't worry, if I've any doubt at all it's beyond my competence we'll get in someone who knows what they're doing.

I'll ask my brother or brother in law to find out so I can do it when next home. Here's the required info if I'm correct:

rating in KW old and new = easy to find from cooker spec
the length of circuit from fuse box = can I just double distance (around walls) from cooker to fuse box. I'm assuming better to overestimate than under if not sure.

the cable size = is this the cable size from the cooker to the circuit, or in the circuit itself (i.e. I'd need to check in the fuse box). Is the cable size printed on the cable or is there some colour scheme where I can check

circuit protective device rating = I'm guessing this will be either an MCD on one of the new style "fuseless" boxes (where you flick a switch back if it trips) like in my house (which is 32A), or one of the fat red (I think red was 40A last time I had one of these!) old style fuses? Hopefully it's not a paper clip in one of the ancient style boxes (my father had a thing for quick fixes).

Is there anywhere on here with safety recommendations on these combinatons?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back