An expert opinion please...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

The radiator in my downstairs bathroom isn’t working. I've tried increasing the water pressure of the combi-boiler, but unfortunately still no heat in the bathroom; in fact, there's still no heat in the pipes connected to the radiator!

I'm considering bleeding the problem radiator, but before i do, i wanted to check whether there are any risks involved in doing so. The last thing i want to do is let air in to the system and mess it up.

I read on another post that sealed systems (which is what i have) are unlikely to have trapped air in the system...so is it worth even trying to bleed it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If there is no heat in the pipes it is more likely a water flow problem ie blocked pipework/airlock/stuck TRV pin/blocked valve/balancing.

However sealed systems can have trapped air in the system, just as much as open systems.

The risk in bleeding air from a sealed system radiator is that often the expansion vessel is flat (or it has a depeleted charge). Once the radiator(s) is bled and the pressure reset (to say 1 Bar) the pressure gauge may rise too high (The radiator(s) containing air act as an expansion vessel).

Once you have bled the rad and reset the water pressure watch the gauge as the heating warms up. If the pressure goes more than 2 Bar read the faq's omn expansion vessels. Do not let the pressure rise more than 2.5 Bar.

If there is little or no air in the radiator read the section on balancing and check as previously mentioned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back