Do you know anything about fixing UPVC backdoors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a UPVC backdoor with opening and closing problems. It appears to have dropped or moved, as theres a draught coming through the top of it.

The opening and closing problem seems to be due to the bolts not quite meeting the cut outs on the frame. I am able to close it if I lift the bolts on the handle, though it is quite a fiddly job to engage it. Once it is closed it locks ok, so I'm sure that the door dropping is the problem. I have no idea how to adjust it as I'm not familiar with the workings of UPVC. :?: :confused: Does anyone have any clues?

Sponsored Links
it's the same old story.

toe & heel packing is what your door needed. it prevents dropping. a problem associated with upvc doors, particularly 'french' style.

if the gap at the top of the door extends all the way across to the hinge side then depending on the type of hinge you have you may be able to adjust the height (using allen keys) to compensate for some of the toe and heel problem.not an ideal solution but it may help as a cheap quick fix.dont keep forcing the handle up to lock the door (if this is what you have to do) as you'll soon damage the mech then things start to get expensive

Yes it does go all the way across the door. I'm not sure what the toe and heel thing is though. :confused:

The door is a half glazed type and there is some evidence of wear on the frame cut-outs (sorry I don't know what you call these) where the bolts go into.
Where will I begin to adjust this, is it where the hinges are and how difficult is it to do? :?:

Sponsored Links
:D Many thanks noseall for the link.

It has helped my understanding enormously, though I'm not sure the door can be fixed. The gap at the top is too big!

If I can get through the winter with this excuse of a door, I will invest in a new one. Your help and others have been great!!!!!!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back