radiator upstairs not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a combination boiler in my house all the radiators are working apart from one upstairs! the pipes are warm going to the radiator but the rad doesnt get warm . any advice please

Sponsored Links
There's a few obvious things to try first :

Check that the lockshield/TRV valves each end are fully open - you may need to get a spanner on the lockshield(s), depending on the cap.

Open the air vent at the top to check the radiator isn't full of air.

If all valves appear fully open and water comes out of the air-vent, then the next thing I'd check is the pin inside the TRV (if you have one) as these can sometimes get stuck.

Pinching it gently with some pliers and moving it back and forth (just a few milimetres) will sometimes be enough to free it. You need to do this carefully though, so as not to damage the pin or pull it out.

If it is full of air ,remember to recharge the system pressure once bled
If no air,check lockshield valve is open
The TRV ...you can remove the head . If it has a pin sticking up,make sure when you press on it(usually with something hard),that it moves down and returns up
If it does not move.. GENTLY tap the pin with a small hammer/grips/anything else close to hand(traditional plumbers tools :) )
Dont hit too hard,if after a minute its still not budged its a new valve

Sponsored Links
If all valves appear fully open and water comes out of the air-vent, then the next thing I'd check is the pin inside the TRV (if you have one) as these can sometimes get stuck.

Pinching it gently with some pliers and moving it back and forth (just a few milimetres) will sometimes be enough to free it. You need to do this carefully though, so as not to damage the pin or pull it out.

If it is full of air ,remember to recharge the system pressure once bled
If no air,check lockshield valve is open
The TRV ...you can remove the head . If it has a pin sticking up,make sure when you press on it(usually with something hard),that it moves down and returns up
If it does not move.. GENTLY tap the pin with a small hammer/grips/anything else close to hand(traditional plumbers tools :) )
Dont hit too hard,if after a minute its still not budged its a new valve
This seems to have fixed it thankyou

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back