help! radiator not working. any ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

I've been living in my house for a few months now and the radiator in the downstairs bathroom hasn't worked since i moved in. The thing is the combi-boiler was apparently only installed in 2006, so i find it a bit strange that it's not working after such a short space of time.

When the heating is switched on I can't even feel hot water in the pipes down from the ceiling that are connected to the radiator.

I've just tried to bleed the radiator and there wasn't much air in it at all, but water did come out instantly. I’m totally baffled by the while thing.

If there’s water in the problem radiator - and every other rad in the house is working fine - why is hot water being pumped through all but one?! When I moved in to the house I had to re-connect the washing machine because the previous occupier had it rigged up to the hot water pipe. Is it possible that a bad DIYer could install a combi-boiler and rig one radiator to the cold water pipe?!

If anyone has any ideas as to what the problem could be I'd love to hear them! The cold bathroom in the mornings is killing me!!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
check to see if you have a thermostatic valve fitted if you have then it sounds like the pin is stuck down in a closed position, take the top off from the body of the valve most unscrew and then lightly tap the pin and apply a smidge of wd 40, tap it a bit more and see if it moves upward if it does then it will work,
If there is no valve then check to see if both valves are open some times when systems a ballanced the locksheild valve is just cracked open and the rad will work but if any sludge has got in the system over time it can block off the return it will need opening a bit more
there that is 2 things for you to try

check to see if you have a thermostatic valve fitted if you have then it sounds like the pin is stuck down in a closed position, take the top off from the body of the valve most unscrew and then lightly tap the pin and apply a smidge of wd 40, tap it a bit more and see if it moves upward if it does then it will work,
If there is no valve then check to see if both valves are open some times when systems a ballanced the locksheild valve is just cracked open and the rad will work but if any sludge has got in the system over time it can block off the return it will need opening a bit more
there that is 2 things for you to try

Thanks for the post. Just one thing....there's actually no hot water in the pipe leading to the radiator. Could what you sat still be the cause of the problem?

Say, if one of the valves is blocked would this stop the flow of hot water causing cold water to be trapped in the pipes in the radiator and connecting pipes? (i'm a novice so if this is a silyl question i apologise!!)

If either of the valves is shut,no hot water will go down either pipe

Does it have a thermostatic valve or is it normal valves?

If it does have a thermostatic valve it then it could be stuck,if it is no hot will go there

Sponsored Links
If either of the valves is shut,no hot water will go down either pipe

Does it have a thermostatic valve or is it normal valves?

If it does have a thermostatic valve it then it could be stuck,if it is no hot will go there

It's just a regular valve that you turn to open/close. It's quite an old radiator actually.

One thing though, when I have the heating on and I put my ear to the radiator i can hear some swooshing noise, which would indicate that the pipes are at least connected up to the central heating.....dont u think?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back