1 radiator not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just lately I've got 1 radiator (upstairs) that no matter how many times I bleed it drops al the water after less than 24 hrs. It has not been touched in any way since we last had the heating system on. All the other rads are fine, it's not leaking from anywhere and is fine once bled but just does not last. Any ideas

Sponsored Links
you mean it needs bleeding again?

I expect it is positioned so that it catches most of the gas in the system. maybe it is above the boiler or next to the pump.

You probably have corrosion in the system and should clean and inhibit it. Gas is produced by the corrosion of the steel radiators which also produces black sediment and turns the water black.

there is a chance that air is being sucked in by the pump, if you have a leak, or it is possible that water is being pumped up to your feed and expansion tank in the loft and picking up dissolved air.

Next time you bleed the rad, hold a lighted match to the vent and see if the gas will ignite (move curtains and other flammable objects away). Corrosion produces hydrogen.

Tried that and it just blew the match out. I don't suspect it is corrosion related, but cannot seem to find any reason for it draining so quickly. As previously stated it bleeds fine but is empty again within 12 hours.

Sponsored Links
Is the rad higher than the Feed tank and does this tank have 4 inches of water in it?

if you drain half a bucket of water, does exactly the same amount of water immediately flow out of the F&E? (you may need to tie up the ball valve to check)

:?: Archimedes :confused: :LOL: incorrect piping vent/coldfeed incorrect ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back