needles for RSJ installation opinions pls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, have got a couple of RSJ s to put in on my extension at home and wanting to keep them as high up as poss but dont want to damage existing kitchen ceiling so stongboys not much use (handle on top) and units below. The joists do not run into this wall so it has only got its self load + roof , was thinking about removing skirting upstairs and 50mm core drilling both skins at this level then useing 5 foot scaffold poles as my needles wedge up from floor board above a joist then prop joists underneath with large sole board and accrows. Question is will newish scaffold poles be up to this task ie 3m span with 4 needles. i just thought that core drill would do least damage in upstairs bedroom. Or is there a better/easier way that i have not thought of :idea: Thanks

Sponsored Links
we use pudlocks all the time for needles.

three needles will be more than enough.

set one in the centre and the others need to be about a metre away either side.

beleive it or not, in a lot of cases, one needle in the centre will stop any major problems!

you need to have done a lot of demolition work to realize the vulnerabilities of a brick wall.

as a fail safe and to save on collateral damage gaps of 1metre between supports is enough.

some scenarios do demand a greater degree of propping or shoring though. ;)

Thanks for that Noseall, i thought they would be up to the job but as i only really deal with new build at work, thought i would run it by some folks with a bit more experience in this type of works, thanks again mate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back