Wiring a plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just returned from the Middle East where I purchased a lamp with a 2 pin plug. When I removed the plug, to replace it with a 3 pin plug I have found that the cable has two wires. One black and one red. Any advice on how to wire this to a 3 pin plug would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
that is black to the left ad red to the right

thing is, is the light metal or "plastic"

if metal is it double insulated

if not it needs re wiring

Sponsored Links
If the light has an ES or SES lampholder, then just to be sure, make sure that the wire you connect to the live pin in the plug connects to the cetral pin in the lampholder.

SS - ponder for a moment the question that hummer971 asked, and what it implies, and then ponder whether he can do what you suggest...

Hummer - what voltage do they use where you bought this?

securespark said:
If the light has an ES or SES lampholder, then just to be sure, make sure that the wire you connect to the live pin in the plug connects to the central pin in the lampholder.

What's wrong with that?

My point was to not assume that red is live. Check which wire goes to the central pin of the lampholder. It is this wire that is connected to the live pin in the replacement plug top.

securespark said:
securespark said:
If the light has an ES or SES lampholder, then just to be sure, make sure that the wire you connect to the live pin in the plug connects to the central pin in the lampholder.

What's wrong with that?
Nothing wrong with that. Did anybody say there was?

Sorry, Ban, I'm missing something vital here. Please don't say "your brain"!!!

I thought you said:

"SS - ponder for a moment the question that hummer971 asked, and what it implies, and then ponder whether he can do what you suggest... "

What did you mean?

I must be going senile in my old age!! :LOL:

I meant (no offence to hummer971) that if he doesn't know how to wire up a plug, he's unlikely to have the tools to determine which wire goes where.

But I was imagining using a meter to check that out - I suppose dismantling and using the Mk One Eyeball is another option.

Doh!

I have Mk Two Eyeballs and suggest you get a pair pronto. They give much better vision, especially at night.

knowing some of the electrical items you get from there i'd suggest you cut of the cable and use it as an ornament and i'm not joking!

securespark said:
I have Mk Two Eyeballs and suggest you get a pair pronto.

I've been all through the MK catalogue and can't find any products called "Two Eyeballs". Is this a discontinued item? ;)

you miss read it, its not MK 2 eyeballs, its MK2 eyeballs as in Mark 2 as opposed to Mark 1 :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back