Unable to pressurize boiler.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction as to how I might be able to cure the above problem.

I've a Worcester 280 which untill now has given good service. But recently I went to top up the system to around 1 bar from the stop cock under the boiler and nothing happened :( Usually you can hear the water flowing and 10 seconds later the jobs done. Now the pressure in the boiler is under 1/2 a bar and the boiler will fire up as normal but will then trip out after a minute or so.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
May be the plastic tap tab turning but not the oblong bit under it.

I see what your saying, get a new filling loop as the plastic tap on mine may be suspect. Will start on flooding the utility room tomorrow ;)

Thanks for the pointers, will post back to let you know how I get on.

Sponsored Links
No, point is, there are two possibilities. If it's just the plastic bending, you can turn the oblong below with a spanner.

Understand what your saying will give it a go before I go to the trouble of removing the pipe.

OK it's not the plastic tape. I've removed it and turned the spindle with a spanner and still the same, not a sound of running water.
The link pipe looks very easy to remove having butterfly wings at each end but it's all behind a cupboard and I'm presumeing there will be a drop of water to contend with so I'm going to modify the cupboard to get get better access but will have to do that tomorrow.

Curiosity got the better, removed the link pipe at the tape end and opened the tape but only got a dribble out of it.
Here's a picture sorry not very good but a bit of a nightmare to get at. Link pipe goes from thin pipe to the thick pipe, I take it the thin one is the supple ?
picture002lm8.jpg

have you had it off and put the no return on wrong way?or when you undo it at the top connection and open then does it allow water through

Can’t tell for sure as the pic is so dark, but it looks like you have go two manual valves in stead of check valve and open/shut. Did I see it right?

Will see if the valve moves with the loop off today but trying to slip something in the hole.
As for the top connection it's never been removed in over ten years. It's a chrome fitting about 2" long and it looks like a screw head on the side. As it was in the up and down position I wondered if this to was a valve that had worked shut so tried to turn it so the slot was in line with the pipe and water started to leak from it so assume it's a drain plug of sorts !

OK after much huffing and puffing I removed the top up valve and all was ok. I then removed the non return valve all looks ok so gave it a clean and put it all back. When I turned the mains back on I left the loop pipe off to see if all was ok. There was a lot of pressure but most of it was air, I flooded the utility room as much as I dare and connected up. I then ran the hot water tap while topping up the boiler now over 1bar and seems to be running fine. Will give the rads a bleed at the weekend and keep my fingers crossed. ;)

BIG THANKS TO YOU ALL FOR THE POINTERS AND
MERRY CHRISTMAS :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back