Cable through a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I want to run a 4 or 6 way extension from a socket in my kitchen through the wall (2 skin external) to my living room as we need power in that corner of the room.

Is this safe?

Thanks. :D

Sponsored Links
I went to a house in Macc yesterday: I counted 56 extension leads of one form or another & 12 3-way adaptor blocks. :evil:

I have about 6 4/6 way extensions around my house (3 bed) its a couple more than normal because of Christmas. Some are surge protectors for my pc/tv kit.

I don't use the adapter blocks.

Sponsored Links
*Has an idea that Simon wouldn't like the rolands nest thats in my cabinet for my outdoor festive luminaires* :LOL:

(no more than 800w total though!)

:LOL:

I do hate them, but strangely, use them myself round the house. But, as you say, only for light use.

*Has an idea that Simon wouldn't like the rolands nest thats in my cabinet for my outdoor festive luminaires* :LOL:

(no more than 800w total though!)

I hope you're going to post a picture of you're outside lights, I know Dingbat loves them ;)

I have about 6 4/6 way extensions around my house (3 bed) its a couple more than normal because of Christmas. Some are surge protectors for my pc/tv kit.

I don't use the adapter blocks.

Sorry to digress :LOL:

It's a bit unorthodox but as temporary solution it’s safe and better than having the lead trailing through door ways.

When you say outside skin, I’m assuming the cable is being run internally and the kitchen has been built on the back of your house?

Yep thats right.

The socket I will be running from is behind my fridge could I run a spur from it and do the job properly part P wise?

Ta.

Oh yea the kitchen is a special area. Never mind then it looks like I will use an extension.

I think my kichen has a radial in it can you still run a spur of that? If so I could book the spark to come as where I want the socket is near some pipes that need boxing so I wont need to get the bricks cut out for a socket.

Get the sparks to check because if you have a dedicated kitchen radial it's conventional (and better) to feed your new socket in the lounge from the ground floor ring and not the dedicated kitchen radial.

Yea it is a kitchen only radial on its own fuse the trouble is my downstairs socket ring is no where near where I want the socket it would meen lots of disruption where as the kitchen radial is only the other side of the wall.

But I will take your advise and not get a spur from the kitchen and I will go back to plan A and drill a hole in the wall then feed a 6/4 way socket through.

There is one other option where I can box the central heating pipes in, they come from upstairs so running a spur from the upstairs ring (Same as downstairs fuse). How far away from CH pipes do wires have to go?

Thanks so far for your replies. :D

Have you got solid floors? If so there is good chance your down stairs ring will be wired in the ceiling void. Now if you intend to box in some pipes floor to ceiling.......you've guest the rest

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back