Potterton Suprima 40 trips electricity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No heating or hot water for 4 weeks! Two engineers haven't been able to fix it. Yesterday div valve and control panel changed, hot water and heating for 24 hours and now problem has reoccured - boiler fires up and trips all sockets throughout house. Last engineer thinks it could be an electrical fault rather than appliance fault but we think he may be wrong. Very cold mummy and 2 year old getting desperate and don't know what to do. Can anybody advise please? :(

Sponsored Links
most likely a water leak inside the boiler casing or at the pump. You can have a look for any signs of leak. might be a misplaced wire or electronic fault inside the boiler but I doubt it.

Does the boiler light up before the electrics trip?

If you UNPLUG every appliance in the house before starting the boiler (and switch off those with no plug, especially the cooker) does it still trip?

No, the boiler doesn't light up before the electics trip. Could it be something else electrical causing the problem then? Thank u for replying

I think you probably mean the RCD trips (larger device with a "T" or Test button on it). these will trip if there is (1) a single significant earth leakage or (2) several small earth leakages which together add up to enough. These leakages most often come from appliances whichg contain both water and electricity (like kettles, steam irons, and boilers) or appliances which contain a heating element (like cookers) but can also come from damaged, wet or badly installed wiring or accessories.

So unplugging (switching off is not enough) every appliance may cure the fault if it is caused by several small ones, of which the boiler or pump is only one.

What is the sequence of events when the thing trips? You switch on the supply to the boiler, and....

What is written or engraved (all letters and numbers please) on the thing that trips?

I am not a boiler engineer.

Sponsored Links
turn on power supply to boiler, use control panel to select on, a fan whirrs inside the boiler, the instant the boiler starts to spark the circuit breaker trips.

Not sure what you mean about the writing or engraving- on the fuse box or boiler?

I just tried unplugging everything and it still happened (reason for delayed response!)

Have your gas fitters removed the gas valve plug and then tried the boiler?

If so did it still trip out sockets?

I am assuming you actually mean just the sockets trip and not the entire electrics as John has asked

the think that trips is probably either a small thing or a large thing in one of these

Crabtree0001.jpg

The actual spark can cause an unbalance current of perhaps 10 mA.

I would be checking the leakage current from other devices in the home and then last that all boiler earths are correct.

Tony

Is that a fuse box within the boiler or the fuse box in the house, John D? The thing I'm saying trips is the RCD circuit breaker (blue) in the fuse box)

Yes Dave it's just sockets not lights, I'm afraid I can't answer the other question.

Well thats the mcb then not the rcd. Proves its a current overload rather tha a leakage to earth.

Again without knowing exactly what your fitters have tried, other than removing the case it is hard for us to advise.

I would still want to check the gas valve though.

Is this problem best sorted by a heating engineer or an electrician?

We have an engineer coming on saturday but are tempted to get an electrician before then.

I mean, the thing that trips in the fusebox (consumer unit) for the house.

It might be marked B32 or 32A or 30mA or 80A or 100A or 0.03A or a combination of several of these.

It may or may not have a "T" or "Test" button which may or may not be marked "Test Regularly"

I want to know what it says on the one that is tripping.

Right so its not the RCD or RCCD then.

Its just a plain current overload !

I think you need a competent engineer!

How did you choose your muppets?

Tony

What is a gas valve and its function? How can this knock electricity off? Is this a heating engineer job or an electrician's? Can I advise the engineer to look at this?

Thank u for your help, it's very appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back