Stump Killer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got some tree stumps which I'd like to drill down into then put some of that stuff in that slowly kills them.

I can't find it in DIY shops or online. Is it out-of-season? Am I searching for the right name?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Sodium chlorate is the stuff you need. I saw some in B&Q a few weeks ago. There are two things you ought to know about it.

1) It kills all known plants - dead! :evil: :evil: :evil: It won't leak out of the stumps because roots naturally suck stuff in but rising sap can push it back out of the holes. Ask yourself where it will go if this happens.

2) It can make things highly flammable. There is a tale of a gardener who got his leather boots soaked in chlorate solution and put them beside the fire to dry out. They dried out and burst into flames! :eek: :eek: :eek:

2) It can make things highly flammable. There is a tale of a gardener who got his leather boots soaked in chlorate solution and put them beside the fire to dry out. They dried out and burst into flames! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Someone once told me that they've started adding stuff to it to reduce its effectiveness as an oxisdising agent, for anti-terrorism reasons

Not sure if its true at all, or even if its possible (didn't do chemistry A level)

Be a shame if they have, isn't making fireworks and the like a national institution for legions of schoolboys? :LOL: , must admit I never really did anything besides model rockets using pre-manufactored rocket engines, well besides trying to displace copper oxide with magnesium with a chemistry set... that wasn't in the book and much to my dismay I couldn't get the reaction to start!

edit: was copper oxide I think, got no memory!

Someone once told me that they've started adding stuff to it to reduce its effectiveness as an oxisdising agent, for anti-terrorism reasons

Not just terrorists, also for anti-schoolboy reasons, they've all got net access after all. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
dont bother. hire a stump grinder and get rid of them in half an hour. cheap and quick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back