Cleaning paint trays using wallpaper paste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One day I had a paint tray that had some dried eggshell on it. I had a bit of papering to do so I decided to mix some wallpaper paste in it and because I'm lazy I didnt bother washing it after.

The next day I went to clean the tray and found that the paste had dried - I started peeling it and it came right off in one go taking all the old paint with it as well. I was left with a shiny, clean as new paint tray :!:

I'm wondering - have I just found a brilliant way of making old paint trays new? :eek:

Will anyone else give it a try and see if it works for them too :?:

Sponsored Links
Its nothing to do with the paste..all trays will do that if you pull the paint off carefully.

Its nothing to do with the paste..all trays will do that if you pull the paint off carefully.

Great! I can have nice clean trays again!

I'm on a mission to clean up my tools and sundries and regain my pride in them again. My brushes are looking great :)

Sponsored Links
Heres a tip then..

Give your trays a couple of coats of oil based gloss first..when you are ready to peel the paint out of them it will come off easy

As for brushes..leave em soaking in celulose paste for a few days after you have cleaned them out, then go through them with a wire brush or comb..it softens up all the hard paint at the top of the bristles

Then leave em upright in a mix of linseed oil and white spirit (if they are the ones you use in oil paint)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back