Silly pat test requests... lol

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
yep I often drag myself out to do a spot of pat testing here and there, mainly on stage/sound/lighting equipment.

Whilst going through some kit for someone, they came upto me asking to pat test this widowmaker for them, FYI a widowmaker is two 13 amp plugs, with leads paralleled into a single 32 amp ceeform socket, to allow 32 amp ceeforms to be plugged into places like village halls - not good at all and bloomin dangerous to say the least!

i thought the geezer was joking when he asked me to pat test it but he was serious... after 10 mins of painful laughter i sed 'give it here' and as such used my wire cutters on it.

no way!

these are quite commonly found in places like theatres, schools etc so be prepared any of you who go out doing pat testing, you will find some amazing stuff!

Sponsored Links
Today I was asked to PAT a load of leads.
They had 110V industrial plugs on one end, and bare wires at the other end. :LOL:
They wanted to know the leads were safe before wiring them to appliances, so I suggested fitting them then testing the appliance after

That's nuts.

If they want to know if they're safe, just megger them then if you really wanted to, you could do an EFLI test on them.

I did suggest belling the lead out before fitting it, but they were hoping I would stick passed labels on them.
It made me think they were tring to be clever by getting me to put my name to appliances that were in poor condition.
Regards

Sponsored Links
unbelievable, do they not realise that a BS1363 socket outlet (single or double) is only rated at a total capacity of 13A IN TOTAL not 13A each outlet!, they have a fire waiting to happen, let alone a major electrocution hazard.

Today I was asked to PAT a load of leads.
They had 110V industrial plugs on one end, and bare wires at the other end.

Leads like that are a potential hazard. No plug should have a non terminated lead attached and to have the wire bare is even worse.

I was taught, lead to appliance, test, fit plug and test again.

unbelievable, do they not realise that a BS1363 socket outlet (single or double) is only rated at a total capacity of 13A IN TOTAL not 13A each outlet!, they have a fire waiting to happen, let alone a major electrocution hazard.

unless they use MK Logic Plus. MK claim they can take 26A Total. I'm sure u read that somewhere. ;)

Leads like that are a potential hazard. No plug should have a non terminated lead attached and to have the wire bare is even worse.
plenty of suppliers sell mains leads with moulded plugs in that state.

but I do think that at the very least such leads need to be carefully stored somewhere where they can only be accessed by those who know what they are doing.

Double sockets are rated at 13 amp each outlet. They have to in order to get the BS rating. I have had this argument with a few sparkies but trust me, i know. Every double socket you see will handle 13 amps on each outlet.

I have seen literature that states 13amp per plate, not per outlet. It has been brought up several times. I believe even MK state 13amp per plate - I will try to find an email I recieved from them a year or so ago regards this very matter.

As regards plugs with trailing bare flex......Whenever I remove a moulded plug from an appliance for what ever reason, I always put my snips across the live or neutral and give it a twist - You can easily turn the pin 90 deg to prevent it being used. This is prior to skipping of course!

Though a double socket (wait for it...) is often classed as a 'double plate' - it is dangerous to rate a double socket less than 26 amps. What happens if some numpty plugs a fan heater and kettle into the same double socket, cos the mcb wont trip!

trust, its 13 amps per outlet. if it wasnt then the whole fascia would need a single 13 amp fuse protecting both outlets.

I always thought it is 13A between the two outlets. In a lot of instances the cable is not rated for 26A i.e. where thermal insulation is involved.
A kettle and a heater shouldn't pose a big problem a kettle isn't on load for very long.
You wouldn't want to install a double socket spur behind a washer/tumble drier combination though!!

Back on the PAT testing topic, you can't visually pass as fit for service a cable with bare ends.

Edit: little bit of reading //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=42047#42047

It is actually common practice to insure you do not allow a single double socket to feed a washer and a dryer.

I will dig the email out when I have time.

Trust........I have seen it in writing.

What happens if some numpty plugs a fan heater and kettle into the same double socket, cos the mcb wont trip.

They phone some mug to come and find out why the plug won't come out of the socket. And then get shirty when you tell them the socket is damaged and needs replacing and get even shirtier when you say there is a need to replace the cable as well. In this case is was double socket on a 2.5mm² radial in an outhouse with its own "garage" CU with washing machine and tumble dryer.

This is a Jacobs Ladder used for film/TV special effects. It runs off a 10kV 50mA transformer intended for neon signs. The spark shown is approx 40mm across
NOTE: DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME
vee.jpg

britespk.jpg

And...... here is the PAT label :rolleyes:
patlabel.jpg

Quote from the guy who owns it:
"Just one of the many PAT test labels stuck on the transformer from hires to film and TV companies. I think it makes them feel better if they stick a safety label onto something that has two bare wires with ten thousand volts zapping up them. Quite frankly I'm a bit sceptical as to whether this does actually make the unit safer. :)

Have a good christmas all, and spare a thought for the DNO bloke down a muddy hole on Christmas Day wrestling with 11kV trying to get the power back on.

Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links