Ideal Classic Boiler - Just started to make a whirring noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone help?

I have an Ideal Classic boiler which used to be very quite. All of a sudden whenever it's working it now makes a whirring noise.At the moment everythings seems to be working fine. Any ideas what it might be - can't get an engineer for love nor money this time of year without paying through the roof. Boiler's only 2 1/2 years old

Sponsored Links
Ive changed about 5 fans on these boilers in the past month,all seem to have died at once,could be?

I agree, I've changed loads of fans on these in the past few weeks as well :eek:

Don't we all love Ideal :evil:

i think theres only the fan that can make that noise on a classic, ya could try a bit of lube for a temp repair tho

Sponsored Links
Before you go and buy a fan check which one it is. Either terminals each side or both on the left.

Fan should really be a corgi job though.

Same thing happened to my ideal classic FF330. The fan eventually had to be replaced at 4 years old, as has everybody else's in the street that we know of. As a temporary measure, my ancient tin of 3 in 1 oil that the insurance plumber used lasted 3 months before it jammed again, while the WD40 my plumber used lasted a couple of weeks.

Get British Gas in for a fixed price repair as the fans are always a few bob.

£170 will see you are silent again and safe too!

Hello there, I had the very same issue and it was indeed the flu fan that was causing the issue. They are about £108.00 to buy new so what I found was the noise was being caused due to the bearing being seized on the motor. I simply removed the two cross blade screws and removed the upper part of the fan which also allowed me to remove the damaged bearing. I went down to City bearing and purchased a new bearing for £2.80 and put the unit back together again and it's work great since. The entire job tuck just 1.5 hours from start to finish. Save a load of money at the same time:)

Les.

My FF 260 is 13 years old and has just started to do the same thing. Thanks to Les I'm going to try replacing the bearing first, in case that works. If I have to replace the fan after all, should I fit new gasket 'rope' to the exhaust collector on top of the heat exchanger while I'm at it?

Cheers
Gripper

You should not even be opening the combustion chamber as you are not gas registered.

Obvious advice is to get an RGI.

Tony

Before you go and buy a fan check which one it is. Either terminals each side or both on the left.

Fan should really be a corgi job though.

That's is not as important as establishing whether it is series 1 or 2/3

raden a month ago i bought the wrong fan, with the terminals on different sides. felt a prat, wasted time and the customer was cold for 24 hours longer. gas 4 you is 100% right.
by the way the two letters in front of the 16 digit serial number detirmine which fan you need w/o removing the combustion cover but any sensible bloke would double check

Thanks Agile, if the new bearing makes no difference I'll get the fan changed by a professional.
Why should all those fans fail after only two - three years? Could it be that the wrong bearings were fitted in the first place? they should be deep-grooved high temperature bearings. I'm finding them hard to get hold of locally and I live near an industrial city with three independent bearing suppliers! I have found them on-line, though.

We've also replaced 100s of Classic fans, I think it was your goodself Tony that stated the main cause of fan failure was latent heat in the main cast iron heat exchanger, causing the fan motors to overheat. Deffo a job for a Gas Safe RGI!!

Quite so DeltaT.

Prisma 28 fans fail when there is no flue restrictor.

Other fans can fail with flue installation fault.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back