Connecting RCD to a consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I have just installed a 7kw shower (6mm cable) with 45amp pull cord. The c/u is a 60 amp 5 way board, so I need to change this as well as the diversity required in the house will out strip the usage. My question is, can I add a 30ma RCD directly to the new board instead of a separate shower unit? I will be installing a 30 amp MCB into the new c/u. would I be correct in assuming that I need to connect the new 30ma RCD to the 30 amp MCB in series?

Any help would be appreciated.
Also could the correct wiring be shown, i.e. phase, neutral on both the RCd and MCB?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
the normal way with domestic consumer units nowadays is a split load

this means you have an isolating switch which turns off everything and a rcd which covers some but not all of the circuits

thanks Plugwash

Can i ask if i was to install a split load c/u, would this mean if any short or earth leakage in the shower unit trip the RCD?. Also would a 63amp 30 ma RCD be ok for the board?

thanks

depends if its split load, if it is / not and you put the shower on the rcd side then yes it will trip.

yes

Sponsored Links
thanks Guys

Could i go back to my original question, Is it ok to add a RCD to a new c/u without opting for a split board?

Thankyou, could you advise me of the correct connection of the terminals from the RCD to MCB, or is it a simple , phase for phase , neutral for neutral etc

maxwellm said:
I have just installed a 7kw shower (6mm cable) with 45amp pull cord.
When the day comes to replace the shower, and you heave a sigh of relief because you can at last get one that works properly you'll deeply regret not installing 10mm² cable in the first place....

what size tails should i run from the rcd unit for an 8kw electric shower to the fuse board ? no room in fuse board to make of the tails, whats the best way to make this?

Best leave this to the new topic you've started, but basically you don't feed the RCD from the CU - the tails should come from the meter via a Henley block.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back