Guttering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I purchased a house recently that had a new extension the guttering that is fitted appears inadequate as any moderate amount of rainfall over flows the new guttering. I have checked the down pipe and it is clear. Is there any formula for the size of guttering and number of down pipes in relation to the roof size.

Sponsored Links
Have you checked the level of the guttering. If it runs downhill the wrong way, it will do this. You could try putting it back up with a slight fall, in the right direction.

The easiest way to check this is to temporarily block the standpipe (a tennis ball may do the trick) and fill it up with water.

Thanks for the reply.
But the fall is ok i think the size of roof is the problem in relation to the down pipe and guttering size. The guttering takes the water from two roofs the extension has a run of just over 5 meters and the original roof running at 90 degrees too it is a 3 meter run. The down pipe is situated at the point the tweo meet.

Sponsored Links
hmm use high capacity guttering
not only will it solve ur problems it will cost too, well u have a lot of water dont you; afterall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back