Washing machine drainage in a cellar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a new house with no washing machine previously installed, I am now looking to do this, the kitchen is quite small and would need new units etc to accomodate a washer so my next idea was the cellar - this does have a water supply and I have now found what I believe is a soakaway drain - will a soakaway be able to handle the output from a washer? ( its about a foot deep into the floor with abit of standing water at the bottom) it seems to drain ok but I am abit worried it won't drain quick enough.

If it won't could a tank of some sort be used to take the waste initially and then trickle it into the drain?

Any advice or idea's are much appreciated

Cheers Jon
:)

Sponsored Links
A washing machine doesn't hold that much - say 6-8 litres. Try emptying a couple of buckets of water down the drain in quick succession. If the water drains away then you should be OK. I think I'd be happier if I new exactly where the drain went though. Is the reason you've got standing water because there is a trap there (u-bend)?

mmmmmmmmmmm

after 3 or 4 rinse cycles 20 to 30litres

you dont say how underground the basement is
could you not raise the washing up towards the celling
then the hose might be high enough to empty
normaly through the drains

would make the machine easier to load and unload as well :LOL: :LOL:

big all

soak away bad idea, it will clog with detergent. you could always put an extension hose on the outlet, so long as its not too high it will work. Or , a big tank with a sump pump on it

Sponsored Links
The cellar is only a half cellar and sods law is that the half where the main drains run is not where the cellar reaches so getting into the existing drains is abit of a nightmare - sounds like ripping my kitchen up may be the only option??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back