Hinges for a difficult situation!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to find a hinge which will attach a cover panel straight to a wall, so that the side of the door is right against the wall and the door can still open flat 90 degrees. The problem I am having at the moment is that the door only opens to about 45 degrees before the side of the door presses against the wall, preventing it from opening. Is there a hinge will bring the door outwards, away from the wall, before opening 90 degrees, so that the door can openly freely, right back to the wall? Please help!!!

Sponsored Links
sit the door in the recess put the hinges on the front of the door then it will open 90 degrees simple.

The hinge you require is called a parliment hinge.
This allows the door to be folded flat to the wall.
Most diy outlets do not stock these hinges, so try local builders merchants.
Good luck.

You can also use a special type of kitchen unit hinge that will open to around 180 degrees.It sort of telescopes out as it opens and may be useful.

Sponsored Links
DAZB said:
You can also use a special type of kitchen unit hinge that will open to around 180 degrees.It sort of telescopes out as it opens and may be useful.

I'd find that useful, any idea what its called or where I might go to get one?

My problem is a bit more difficult because I'd also like to have a window on each side of my door with a window ledge.
:LOL:

I have had a bit of a browse and this is the closest thing I can find for you.

http://www.dks-online.co.uk/acatalog/hinge_fittigs.html

I think the 165 Clip on Hinge about half way down the page is the most suitable.

You could also try a visit to your local Kitchen supplier and ask them for the Telescoping hinges. They are mostly used on the Corner cupboards so you can get full access inside with the door opening more than a standard hinge.Hope this was some help to you.

Rockler Woodworking and Hardware (www.rockler.com) in the USA carries these European hinges by Blum that seem to fit your needs. They are frameless hinges with a lifetime warranty. They have hinges of every imaginable type, including 60-degree bi-fold hinges, 90-degree "mini_ hinges, 95-degree "thick door" hinges, 120-degree, 165-degree, etc. Their "greatest opening capacity" hinge is a 170-degree hinge that can be adjusted in 3 directions -- side-to-side, depth, and height -- AFTER installation. Rockler also sells special drill jigs that enable you to conceal the hinges completely by drilling cup holes. I bet these hinges are available in the UK, since they are, I believe, of European manufacture. Good luck! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back