Oil Heating: Boiler won't start after running out of oil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, i have unfortunately allowed my oil to run out and can't get my boiler to start up again. I have refilled the tank with oil and bled the valve on the boiler to get rid of any airlocks, which a friend advised me to do. I then hit the reset button on the boiler and held it in for a few seconds but nothing happens. There is no noise at all coming from the boiler, its completely dead. I've already tried to call an engineer out to have a look but can't get one avaliable. I have a 7 month old baby and we are getting desperate as we've no heating. I'm thinking i may be overlooking something simple like another switch to press to fire up the boiler. I've got basic plumbing knowledge but not with boilers. Could anyone please help.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
What is the make/model of boiler? after pressing the reset button on burner does burner try to start up/make any noise at all? are any lights on the boiler iluminated.Have u tried pressing the overheat reset?this is usually under the control panel when the main door is removed/open and is a small plastic brown button,is boiler getting a demand for heat from timer etc?

Hi, the only name on the Boiler is warmflow which i assume is the make, can't see any other names. After/when pressing the reset button the boiler doesn't make any noise at all, its completely silent no clicks or nothing. There is a white box on the wall beside the boiler that has a light which is illuminaed when i switch on the water or heating from the programer/timer. I'm not sure what u mean by control panel or where it is. When i take the cover off the boiler there is the bleeding valve and the reset button, i can't see any other brown button or overheat button. I turned the HW and Heating on from the programer/tiimer so there is a demand for it.
Thanks very much for getting back to me, i really appreciate it , hope this information can help you help me more

if you run out of oil you need to bleed the oil through on the oil pump not the water bleed screw

can you upload a pic of the boiler with the front door removed
the control panel is where the electric wire enters the boiler
there will be a overheat button little red button sometimes a black cover needs to be un screwed

Sponsored Links
If it it was the burner that had locked out pressing the reset button would usually start the motor up,but seems you say everything is dead i suspect the overheat stat has tripped,or the motor has had it,does the reset button light up?to bleed the oil through,u need to loosen the nut on the side of the oil pump,think these have a riello pump on them,but the cause of your problem at the moment is not oil related.

on the riello the bleed is on the side of pump facing you as you look at it.
have you got the manual to find the overheat stat ;)

Hi, i just bled the valve again and can smell oil coming out so i assume it must be the right one. Its gold and i had to use an allen key. I looked at the control panel and unscrewed the black cover but i can't see any overheating button. Sorry i haven't got a picture to help. The reset button is the only button i can see, it is red and doesn't light up. I will get a picture tomorrow. I haven't got the manual and neither has landlord, he also told me the boiler was last serviced 3 yrs ago which can't be good. but he's insisting it is my responsibility as the oil has run out, could it be anything to do with not having it serviced? Thanks again for the help which is much appreciated.
From Belfast

If the boiler wil not start and there are no lights on it,basically it i not getting any power sent to it,due to overheat stat tripping,boiler not getting a signal to turn on,or a fuse blown ,have you checked the fuse in fused spur to the boiler?

As cjb has said its electrical have you a friend who knows basic electrics ?
have you checked fuse board hasnt tripped :idea:

Not to sure about it being the over heat stat as you ran out of oil not water :?:

Get a meter or electrical screw driver and check for electric at boiler.

or put your finger on the boiler live if you havnt got a meter :LOL:

hey the op is in belfast,do not expect the same standards as the mainland some of these boilers were installed by firemen/policeman/ex forces who were funded to retrain by the good old gov.now these idiots do boiler services for £25 :LOL: one plonker nearly got strung up in belfast for advertising bathrooms for £99 as well as the score and a quarter boiler service.it will be the boiler stat,reset is under the blk thing which unscrews to reveal a red stat[just below temp dial]jebbs in lisburn[pts] are open to five today 24th enjoy.

:LOL: :LOL: glad im not based in belfast i would have to work 24/7 to pay the morgage.

why would the overheat stat trip when out of oil and as for the boiler stat going on the same day as no oil bit to much of coinsidence.

BUY A NIGHT WATCHMAN (oil level gauge in your warm house)

crystal ball, :LOL: the sys will have no temp controls except boiler stat.from the description it is an electrical fault,boiler stat and fuses would be the first port of call.last week had one that had run out of oil,pump lead and burner lead char grilled next to the casing :eek: water in the double socket took out upstairs lights as well.these boys do a tidy job :(

numpty 1 wrote

the sys will have no temp controls except boiler stat

Yes but isint it a "Dual Thermostat".

From Warmflow..

The radiator temperature is regulated via the
boiler control thermostat. The thermostat is user
adjustable from 55°C at its minimum setting (dial
‘0’) to 85°C at its maximum setting (dial ‘5’). In
order to provide an additional level of safety there
is a high limit thermostat which has a cut off point
of 110°C; this is factory set and is not adjustable.
If thermostat trips it needs to be reset manually.

balenza wrote

The radiator temperature is regulated via the
boiler control thermostat. The thermostat is user
adjustable from 55°C at its minimum setting (dial
‘0’) to 85°C at its maximum setting (dial ‘5’). In
order to provide an additional level of safety there
is a high limit thermostat which has a cut off point
of 110°C; this is factory set and is not adjustable.
If thermostat trips it needs to be reset manually.

never heard of part l :LOL: it is just a boiler stat, most warmflows have been lashed onto grav hot water/pumped heating, if the owner is really lucky they will have a room stat to control the pump,but the h/w works off the boiler stat hence why i think it is the boiler stat as this is linked to the burner[no lockout light/no electricery]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back