Leak from Ideal Classic Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1) Boiler make / model (gas or oil) :

Ideal Classic FF40 Gas

2) What is / is not happening.

Woke up this morning to find a puddle of water under the boiler. Had a look inside and it seems to have come from the top of the boiler.

At the top theres a cover behind which is the Red Pressure thing (I'm not a plumber sorry). Theres a flexible steel pipe thats connected to some copper tubing. There are two bits of this connectd copper tubing that point directly upwards (bit like a U in the tube) and each are topped by a valve type thing.

The first has a little black bit of plastic, the second has a cable that leads to the pressure dial, has a red top and I think it's the safety pressure relief valve.

The leak seems to have come from the bit with the black bit of plastic. I managed to hand-tighten the black plastic top and also tighten the copper valve thing on the cable and that seems to have stopped the leak for now.

The water pressure had dropped significantly so I let water into the (sealed) system so it's around 0.75 bar. ( I didnt want to put too much in just in case the pressure dial is wrong or I need to something to re-calibrate it)

Is this something to worry about? Whats the bit that leaked and will it do it again?

3) Has ANYTHING else been done or changed recently.

I had it serviced last month, during which the plumber managed to knock a radiator off the wall, and it was refitted last week.

4) When did the problem start?

Last night...

5) When does it happen? eg, heating coming on or going off.

Not sure.

6) Anything else you feel may be of relevance.

On the boiler it says it's a fan flue and it was converted to a sealed type system.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers
John

Sponsored Links
Fit a quality filling loop. The smallest leak above the boiler can corode through the top casing rendering the boiler scrap.

Fit a quality filling loop. The smallest leak above the boiler can corode through the top casing rendering the boiler scrap.

Wow, thanks for the quick response Guys.

Whats a filling loop? I fill the system by a valve upstairs next to the hot water tank.

Just so I've explained things right, it seems to have been a leak from a small bit of black plastic that I screwed down by hand, right at the top of a chunk of copper at the end of an offshoot of the copper pipe.

top.jpg

I've circled in red the bits that I tightened.

What are they?!

Cheers
John[/img]

Sponsored Links
I had it serviced last month, during which the plumber managed to knock a radiator off the wall, and it was refitted last week.

If it was fitted properly he would have had to crowbar it off, which suggests that you're radiator was ready to fall off at any time before he touched it. Sounds like another example of the customer blaming the plumber for a badly maintained system I reckon. :rolleyes:

That there would be the auto air vent.

And you need to leave the black plastic nipple on top unscrewed slightly,or it wont automatically vent any air out,if its leaking from this point when you do this,a new vent is required.

That there would be the auto air vent.

And you need to leave the black plastic nipple on top unscrewed slightly,or it wont automatically vent any air out,if its leaking from this point when you do this,a new vent is required.

Thanks for the info guys.

Is that just the black thing that I need to replace or the whole bit on top of the copper pipe? Any idea what sort of price it is?

Is it something easy to fit or do I need to drain the system/call a plumber?

With reference to the radiator falling off, I don't blame the plumber, the fittings (on a 6 year old house) were rubbish and couldn't handle his enthusiastic banging... :)

Many thanks for your help

Cheers
John

Cost about a tenner and it is either 1/2" 0r 3/8th(morelikely).. can be done with system full after releasing the pressure ten min job

Cost about a tenner and it is either 1/2" 0r 3/8th(morelikely).. can be done with system full after releasing the pressure ten min job

Can I get this online, or would a plumbing shop/B&Q have it?

Is it a generic thing or do I have to get a specific Ideal Classic part?

Cheers & thanks again.

John

Any will do as long as thread is correct and physical size is the same.

You should get one from plumbcentre on thursday take your picture to show them... Ideal don`t list any individual part numbers for the system kits on there web site

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back