Garage flat roof - construction method queried

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Late last year I stripped our old garage roof of felt and chipboard due to water damage. I replaced the decking with OSB and then left it covered until recently when I had a roofing company refelt it and also replace the timber facia with UPVC at the same time.

My query concerns the verges around the edge of the roof. The garage is detached and previously there were verge drips at the rear and two sides along with a gutter under the front eaves at the lowest edge of the sloped roof.

When the roofing company replaced the roof (less the decking) they didn't create any verges. Instead the roof is flat to all edges.

Is it normal not to have these verges or is the onus on me to specify them, or do roofers usually ask what is required?

I must say that I had taken it for granted that they would add timber fillets and felt over them.

Many thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Flinstone said:
When the roofing company replaced the roof (less the decking) they didn't create any verges. Instead the roof is flat to all edges.
This is a grey area, if you said the roof is ready for re-felt then they went along with it although they should know better by mention it to you.

Are you saying now the roof felt is not going into the gutter as well?

I must say that I had taken it for granted that they would add timber fillets and felt over them.
You're right, I wouldn't expect you to know these thing. I'm afraid it's unprofessional.

Thank you for your comments.

I had been explicit when I told them that I had replaced the decking only.

The roof falls toward the long edge of the garage which I refer to as the front since it faces the house. On that edge they have formed a drip. This was the edge where the gutter had been fitted.

In fact they have formed drips on all sides.

Do you think I should consider adding guttering to the two sides too?

At the moment the weather is dry and I'm waiting to see what happens to the water when it rains. Presumably wind/rain conditions in Winter will be difference. I'm therefore wondering if I should just go ahead and add guttering all round.

Sponsored Links
Flinstone said:
In fact they have formed drips on all sides.
No, this is okay but I would rather have a 2"x1" on the edge to keep the felt off the fascia, so the rain drip keep clear of the fascia board.
Do you think I should consider adding guttering to the two sides too
No, the gutter should be where the falls end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back