Area of converted garge, left empty?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a room downstairs in our house which was converted from a garage. We have just moved in, and what is puzzleing me is why the person who converted it, left out an area? Or did he? We live in a hilly area, so the house is on three levels. I did a quick drawing on paint, marvel at my skills..

floorplan.gif

My question is, how do I investigate this space, to see what's there? They are all plasterboard walls down here, but I don't wanna go banging them down and find a brick wall or something blocking this area off? How can I find the plans for my house?

Thanks for any tips. [/img]

Sponsored Links
on your picture, are the top line and the right-hand line, elevations that are maybe built into a hillside?

Well I doubt it because the neighbours down the road have their house for sale, it's the same type, so on the estate agents website they have the floor plans and the whole bottom floor (garage) has been converted. They have the same hill behind them as we do. Maybe though, I'm not sure. I just thought the foundations, I'm no expert forgive me if completely wrong here, would need to go beneath the garage on all sides whatever?

Edit: Here is the house in question. Click on floorplan, just beneath the main image of the house.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-16449985.rsp?pa_n=4&tr_t=buy
http://media.rightmove.co.uk/32k/31794/31794_DCP1439_FLP_00_0000_l.GIF

My question is, how do I investigate this space, to see what's there? They are all plasterboard walls down here, but I don't wanna go banging them down and find a brick wall or something blocking this area off?

Get yourself a long drill bit 18" or so & drill through the wall, if the drill bit goes through then it's obviously just a stud wall so get the big hammer out & go for it.

Sponsored Links
Hire a 100mm. core drill and drill right thru`......keep the bits of block/plaster and they`ll go back in if there is nowt behind that`s useable ;) it`ll be like breaking thru` into King Tutankahmun`s tomb :eek: :LOL:

local planning should have a copy of the plans that they should have submitted to get planning permision..

it'll cost though..

Ok I've been thinking about this, and I have a suspicion a wall is behind the plasterboard. When I put some shelfs up, I found the studs (correct term?) and put the scews in at those points, after screwing in for a min til 1cm was left for the shelfs to hang, I heard a sound of the screw scraping what sounded like brick. Could this be a supporting wall perhaps?

I have just come into some money, and maybe be best to have a professional come and have a look, what kind of person do I need? Builder, architect?

nothing to stop you drilling the holes and having a look.

or if there is a room above it, you could go in through the floor above.

are you attached on the rhs!!

have you checked to see if next door ownes the space!!!

Have you thought of lifting a floorboard or two from the room directly above the area in question, that way you will not cause any damage to the wall linings, or tanking if it is below ground level.

Big-al I think I know what you're saying, but I'm semi-detached. I'd be slighly surprised if next door owned this space (that neighbour being the detached house next door), that would be a shock! They have a garage under their house too, so I doubt it really. This space I'm investigating is on the opposite wall to the party wall.

Interesting idea about liftin the floorboards from the room above. Their is kitchen fake-tile floor mat on the boards though, how would I lift this up?

Oh and who do I need to see to get the plans? The local council offices?

Cheers

Not sure what you mean about fake floor tiles, if you mean vinyl tiles just heat them up with an hair dryer and gently ease them up with a wall scraper and the you will have access to floorboards or chipboard.

Yes, that's the word I was looking for, they are vinyl tiles indeed.

Well I have some damp in the corner of the room, so that plastorboard is probably gonna need at least partial replacing, I'm thinking whoever sorts that out could give me an idea what to do.

The thought had crossed my mind. I blooming well hope not! :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back