Plasterboard question.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We recently moved into a new place and decided that a new bathroom suite is needed. The tiles and grouting (floor to ceiling) are in pristine condition so we opted to keep these. I ripped out the toilet followed by the sink. I carefully removed two rows of tiles (chisel job) from around the top of the bath as this is where I would be putting mosaic effect tiles. Then I pulled out the bath. Unfortunately the plaster behind the bath is basically rubble and most of it has fallen off and it is down to the brickwork - an area of about 6ft * 3ft

I can’t seem to get a plasterer who will come round for such a small job so I’m wondering whether I can plasterboard that area?

If yes, should I attach a couple of battens and fix the board on top or do I need to ‘dot n dab’ the plasterboard before tiling on top??

What kind of plasterboard should I be using?

Thanks,

Nagsy

Sponsored Links
because you are only patching, your best option is to apply either a sand/cement render and skim or use a gypsum based backing plaster and skim.

these will bond better to the existing.

attempting to patch with plasterboard at this particular junction, may leave the area a little vulnerable and will probably end up proud of the existing.

if the entire wall was back-to-brick, then i would suggest dabbing some aquapanel or tile backer, then use mechanical fixings as a supplement once the adhesive had set.

As noseall says , you will be able to join all better with plaster or render .However ,with out seeing it you may have room to cut back a nice straght join and dab on board , if ya tiles and grouting are done correctly this will leave everything watertight .As for ya plasterers not coming out for small jobs ,they should be charging you on time taken , not how small the job is .Just cos the job is small does not mean you are in and out in 10 mins .What aera do you live in , i may be able to put you contact with someone.

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.
The area is a clean straight 6ft * 3ft (and an adjacent 2ft * 3ft) so I think straight joins and dab on board is possible.

I have never done dotndab (seems straight forward though) - would it be advisable to split the large area into two pieces and then attach?

I'd feel more confidant applying battens and then the aquaboard to ensure that its level - would a batten job be ok for this as well?

Do the large retailers (B&Q, wickes) sell the aquapanel?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I still haven't got round to starting this.
There is no shower in the bath.

Can I fix battens straight onto the brickwork and then attach the aqua-panel and get a decent tile job done on top?

Ta.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back