How do i waterproof my upstairs bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my upstairs bathroom is above kitchen, it has a shower, can anyone advise on how to completely waterproof it because there is regular water coming through the kitchen ceiling. It has a timber floor

Sponsored Links
You most certainly need to install a waterproof tanking system. This is a latex based membrane which is either trowelled or painted on to the substrate material (i.e plaster) and sealed with the addition of a polyester type matting on the movement joints.These are the points such as where two walls meet (corners) and where the shower/bath meet plastered walls etc. These all in one kits are guaranteed for 10 years and are superb. I wont tile shower areas without them now. A kitchen fitter friend of mine used his shower for two weeks with the tanking system whilst i waited for him to chose some tiles!

it could also be caused by:

water pipe leaking under floor

trap or waste pipe leaking

pipe leaking where chased into wall

none of which will be helped by proofing the floor or walls.

You need to identify where the leak is. there is a fair chance that if you fix it, then water will stop going through the kitchen ceiling

Sponsored Links
Hmm fair comment John. But surely if a pipe has been chased into the wall and leaks it will involve tile removal, replastering, and retiling.If its the trap surely the tray will need removing and trap repairing which will damage the tiles? and again need replacing?. I would safely estimate that 95% of the showers in this country are not not waterproofed and causing damage as we speak. How would you personally waterproof a shower and guarantee a customer there would no more damage for at least ten years?

tell him not to turn it on?

pauld115 has got to find his existing leak and fix it. It might or might not be cured by tanking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back