Replace 3 Gang Switch with 2 Gang Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone do me a diagram for wiring a 2 gang switch with two live feeds please?

I've currently got a three gang switch which I'm taking one light off and moving to a separate switch. Fortunately that leaves me with two cables feeding in for my two gang switch but I've only wired a two gang using a four core cable before (copying what the real electrician did).

I'm not a complete novice and I haven't blown myself up yet so sensible answers only please ;)

Sponsored Links
easiest way to do it is to remove light fitting, put junction bx where it was, and leave the switch as it is. if ever you want o cahnge it back you can.

If you really do want to change the switch copy do as my signature says, then change the switch, except obviously you will only have 2 switches to connect not 3

my only concern is the light youare removing, i hope it isnt the one which supplies the others

breezer said:
my only concern is the light youare removing, i hope it isnt the one which supplies the others
She said "I've currently got a three gang switch which I'm taking one light off and moving to a separate switch.", which I take to mean that she's leaving all the lights alone, and moving the switching of one of them to a separate switch elsewhere.

DIYSparkyEve said:
Fortunately that leaves me with two cables feeding in for my two gang switch but I've only wired a two gang using a four core cable before (copying what the real electrician did).
1) If you only have 2 cables going to a 2-gang switch, then I would disagree with your opinion that it is "fortunate", as 2 is approximately half the number that you need. It's not the "remote" end of a 2-way switching circuit is it, i.e. the one without the switch cables, just the ends of the strappers? What are the 2 cables that you have?
2) I'd love to know how you can wire a 2-gang switch with a 4-core cable - what sort of cable was it?

Could someone do me a diagram for wiring a 2 gang switch with two live feeds please?
I'm not a complete novice
2-gang, 3-gang, 1000000-gang - it makes no odds - they are all the same as a single-gang, only repeated 2, 3 or 1000000 times. There is nothing hard about them, and it worries me that you don't instinctively know this, and realise that you don't need any diagrams or instructions just because it's a 2-gang switch....

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
1000000-gang....

Had a quote from WF for one of these: only 1236.87 plus the vat and the back box is a bit of a b*gger to chase in....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back