Potterton Promax 24HE problem - please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We've recently moved into a new (old) house with a CH system fitted by BG approx 4 years ago. We've had issues with it since we moved in, namely -

1)Radiators not getting hot in some rooms, with others getting to about the temperature of the sun(!).
2)The boiler would cut out (or fail to come on when the timer came on) but would light up every time if it was reset. If the heating was on all day, it was having to be reset perhaps ten times.

We had a BG engineer out to look at the system on Thursday (it's under a 5 year BG 3 star warranty) who replaced the system pump and (I think) balanced the radiators. This improved things in greatly until this morning. The CH and HW came on as normal, when they went off at 8:30 (as they should - on the timer) I set the system to 'once' (on all day) and the boiler went off and I haven't been able to get it to relight since.
The timer seems to be working, the lights come on and go off as they should, the pump runs and the stats both click when turned (second stat in the garage where the boiler is to protect from frost).
Everything seems to be working except the boiler. When I cycle the reset switch there's an audible relay click but no fan (or other) noise. A few seconds afterwards there's another relay click. Other than that, no signs of life although you can hear water moving in the feed and return pipes.

I've taken the outer casing off to check for obvious problems but there's nothing out of place that I can see.

I turned the boiler and the power feed to the timer off and left it for a couple of hours (standard IT procedure!) but it hasn't made any difference.

BG can't send out an engineer until Monday so we're stuck with the prospect of no CH or HW until then. Is there anything you learned ladies/gents can suggest that I do to kick start the bugger in the meantime?

Thanks in advance.

Mike.

Sponsored Links
sounds like a ciculation problem , maybe. Is there an overheat stat on boiler. check the manufacturers instructions .

Bang on the money fitz!!

I've done the fault finding tests in the installation manual, and it indicates a failed/blocked flow switch or some other blockage in the system. When he changed the pump, the engineer commented that there was a lot of debris in there. Looks like we'll be needing another powerflush.

Oh well, looks like we're relying on the coal fire until Monday! Just a shame we don't have a back boiler....... :(

Sponsored Links
Bang on the money fitz!!

When he changed the pump, the engineer commented that there was a lot of debris in there. Looks like we'll be needing another powerflush.

This is a familiar problem with BG installations, boilers fitted and not flushed properly (or at all).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back