Single Storey Extension Cost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm planning on having a single storey extension built onto the rear of my house. It will be 6m x 4m in size with a flat roof. For a bit more light and interest I would like a rectangular roof lantern too.

I am interested to get an idea of the cost associated with this work. It will be used as a kitchen - but I will do the kitchen myself so I am trying to get an idea of the cost to build the shell, wire it and plaster board / skim it (excluding the kitchen). I have read that £1,200 pe m2 is about right, but is that for a finished room?

It should be an easy job - the extension will take up half the existing patio area (which is level) and access is easy. One of the 6m walls already exists as the brick built garage runs down the side of the patio already. One of the 4m walls will be formed by the rear wall of the house so in simple terms I need to build the remaining two walls and put a roof on it.

I assume the exsting garage wall may need underpinning if I use it as to support the roof structure of the new extension.

Is 1,200 per m2 about right? In my mind I had a budget of £30,000 for the structure but I wonder if this is actually a bit high...

Thanks guys - I know you can't provide an accurate figure but a guide would be great. I'm on Surrey / Hampshire border if that makes a difference.

Ed

Sponsored Links
Ed
£1200 is average to carcass/shell level. The main money goes in the groundwork as you have already pointed out underpinning maybe reqd. Redirecting drainage is also an added extra unless it is a simple new connection to your sewer.
Get at least 3 comprehensive quotes to get an idea for your area. The more detailed toy can be in your intended spec the more accurate price your builder can give.

Good luck
Pete

Sponsored Links
i'd go for a tiled pitched roof with veluxes for light..

flat roofs are notoriously bad with a fairly short life span ( you'll get a longer garuntee for a tiled roof.. )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back