Installing a metal 1 gang light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm trying to install a single metal light switch, replacing a metal dimmer switch which doesn't work too well with a new light fitting.

simple enough I thought - ensure that the new metal switch is earthed and follow the wiring instructions for the rest. Problem is when i removed the old switch there are 2 red and 2 black cables, along with the earth cable. Note that there is only one location for switching on or off the light in the room so I'm not sure why there are multiple red and black cables.

The new light switch I have has 1 COM fitting at the top, and two fittings at the botton - one labeled 1 Way and the other labelled 2 way.

Can anyone offer advice on the location for the 2 red and 2 back cables
please.

Sponsored Links
it make a difference if you have two-way or more switching.

I hope you carefully noted how they were connected on the old switch. This is always essential with lighting circuits.

if not you had better track them down using a multimeter and the diagrams found under //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7553&start=0

Hi,

I'm trying to install a single metal light switch, replacing a metal dimmer switch which doesn't work too well with a new light fitting.

simple enough I thought - ensure that the new metal switch is earthed and follow the wiring instructions for the rest. Problem is when i removed the old switch there are 2 red and 2 black cables, along with the earth cable. Note that there is only one location for switching on or off the light in the room so I'm not sure why there are multiple red and black cables.

The new light switch I have has 1 COM fitting at the top, and two fittings at the botton - one labeled 1 Way and the other labelled 2 way.

please.

It also sounds as if it was a "Loop In" @ the switch and then the drop (switch wire) is taken directly to the light fitting.

Was the two black wires joined together in a "Connector block", OP :?:

Sponsored Links
Hi,

please.

It also sounds as if it was a "Loop In" @ the switch and then the drop (switch wire) is taken directly to the light fitting.

Was the two black wires joined together in a "Connector block", OP :?:

Either way, as John sates above, you will have to test the wires to see which is the "Supply" and which is the "Switch Wire".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back