Baxi Solo PF 50 - Ignition Probs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The boiler will only ignite with more flu restriction than the 50 restrictor gives. I have had at least half a dozen CORGI registered fitters, consultants and inspectors try and sort the problem out over the last two years, but it still exists. Every component with the exception of the fan, burner and pressure switch has been replaced, and I have no doubt been conned by some cowboys out there, although I have been able to recover some of the cost.

The latest fitter wants to change the pressure switch and is confident that this will resolve the problem.

What do you guys think?

Sponsored Links
As long as he does it on a no fix no fee basis, then let him try ;)

The latest fitter wants to change the pressure switch and is confident that this will resolve the problem.

What do you guys think?

The aps doesn't alter one of the conditions prevailing when the boiler's trying to light.
The gas/air ratio's wrong, sparks in the wrong place, etc etc.

Can you detail the flue exactly?

Rear flue? Side flue? Length etc???

Sponsored Links
Can you detail the flue exactly?

Rear flue? Side flue? Length etc???

Rear (near top of boiler), and it's about 6" (installed against inside wall which flue goes through to outside)

What do you guys think?

The aps doesn't alter one of the conditions prevailing when the boiler's trying to light.
The gas/air ratio's wrong, sparks in the wrong place, etc etc.

That's what I suspected, but running out of parts to change

The rear horizontal telescopic flue, is suitable for 9"-15" walls.

I suggest yours has been cut too short!

The rear horizontal telescopic flue, is suitable for 9"-15" walls.

I suggest yours has been cut too short!

I think I'm gonna move. It could be cheaper in the long run :LOL:

I've got the boiler running the best it has been in a long time. I turned the gas pressure up a notch, and I have a blue flame with yellow flecks, the boiler casing isn't getting red hot like it was, and the hot water and rads are perfect. However, the air going out and coming into the flue is resticted a tad more than it should be. With the cold spell upon us, I'm very tempted to leave it for a while, but I am still concerned that the hole for the flue isn't as big as designed, and this is masking the real problem

(which no bugger I've had round has a clue about)

ps baxipoti, I mismeasured the distance from the back of the boiler to where the flue comes out outside, it's about 11 inches)

Boiler has been fixed. Just posting this in case anyone gets similar problem with their boiler. Check or have the fan gasket checked before agreeing to several new parts like a new gas valve, pilot assembly etc etc if you are having ignition problems, which appear to be down to the incorrect ratio of gas and air.

I just wish I'd found the geyser who fixed my boiler two years ago when the problems started, rather a bunch of incompetent twangers. I don't know what you have to do to become CORGI registered, but like the driving test, maybe they should make it a bit tougher.

Thanks for the advice offered to me on this forum

Thanks for coming back.
Not the first thing anyone would look for on a boiler that's been in a while, but hey it's basic.

I don't know what you have to do to become CORGI registered

Me me me I know I know!!!!

You have to have a National Insurance number, and a cheque book.
As long as you can read some English, you look stuff up and tick a box which matches what it says.
If you get it wrong you're told to look it up again, and your odds of getting the right answer go up cos you know one's wrong.
If you're not actually awake you have to pay more, to do another day.
Did I mention the cheque book?
When you've done that you pay corgi
Then you get insurance which is expensive cos you can burn things
Then you buy a few tools
Then you develop a sneering attitude and complain a lot, and learn to suck in through your teeth
It all takes absolutely days and days
But you do need a cheque book.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back