Boiler pressure problem after cleaning out Magnaclean filter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all + New Yrs greetings

I've got a Vaillant TurboMAX 824 boiler (2/3 yrs old) that has got a Magnaclean filter fitted on the CH return just underneath the boiler. The boiler + pressure etc have all been running ok.

Last week I cleaned out the filter by the following:
- Firstly closed the Magnaclean isolators / elbows
- Didn't really work so emptied out the CH system
- Cleaned the filter, opened the isolators + refilled the CH system
- Bled all the radiators TWICE with the CH on.

All seemed to be working ok with all the rads + pipework hot as it should be, BUT since then the pressure of the CH system keeps falling. I've since checked the filter, re-bled the rads + topped up the CH pressure TWICE. Doesn't seem to be working........any ideas pls?

Sponsored Links
What do you mean by:

- Firstly closed the Magnaclean isolators / elbows
- Didn't really work so emptied out the CH system
:?:

How did you empty the system? Have you found where water is dripping out?

The isolation valves on the Magnaclean are quite misleading in as much as you can think that you have turned them off but they actually need an extra bit of Oomph to click them over the last fraction which actually closes them.

1) Did you bleed the Magnaclean itself on refilling?

2) Check the blow off pipe outside for dripping.

Thanks for the replies

As Trundles Tricks says, when i closed the isolators (on the magnaclean), i propably didn't put that extra oomph into it - hence i had to empty the CH system.

Now you mention it, i recall that the blow off pipe might have had water dripping from it.........gonn have to check it. I reckon i might not have reset the pull + twist valve when i emptied the CH system.

I'll then bleed the filter.

If that don't work then I'm at a loss.

Sponsored Links
I think that you'll find that if you didn't drain down with a hose and used the pressure relief valve that it could well be leaking...either worn spring or grit on seating.

Us Professionals avoid draining down by Pressure relief valve like the plague because they will almost always leak on refilling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back