BLOCKED DRAIN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a blocked drain below the waste stack. I have lifted the manhole access cover further down the line but as there are three covers, each with 4 differnet pipes, I am unsure of which one is the pipe for my blocked waste. When fitted the stack was fitted to an existing stack (the house is 110 years old) and once started to be used soon became blocked. How can I find out in which direction this pipe travel? I have a concern that the pipe, due to its age may have collapsed and therefore is not blocked by the normal waste but by a collapsed pipe, any tips are more than welcome before I start on this job tomorrow!

Regards

Viking

Sponsored Links
Are you saying that there are 3 seperate inspection covers, each with 4 seperate pipes.

Basically, between access points, drains run in straight lines. Anywhere that there is a change of direction, there has to be another access point (inspection cover or rodding point).

So, If, your soil stack is, say northeast, of the next inspection chamber, then the pipe will run southwest. Inside the Inspection chamber you should be able to see a pipe entering from a NorthEasterly direction.

It really is as simple as that. Look at where the pipes are running to inside the chamber. If it aint heading for your soil stack, then it aint the right one.

Thanks for your response, the problem I have is that where the stack enters the ground it is the old metal type so therefore I cannot remove it to see which way the pipe runs, therefore not allowing me to know which inspection cover it goes to. Would it be the closest or does this not come into it, is there any way I can define which way the pipe runs?

Thanks

Viking

Sponsored Links
OK sorted now, dug it out to find which direction it went in, completely opposite to where i thought, ha ha, thanks for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back