Ariston Micro Genus - Hot water but radiators cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I did a search of the forum and I couldn't see anything that I hadn't tried already. Apologies if I've missed something.

Our central heating boiler is an Ariston Microgenus. I couldn't see a model number on the documentation we have, however it looks identical to these so I therefore assume it is an Ariston Microgenus HE Condensing Combi boiler.

The radiators had been making a lot of noise and the upstairs radiators were cold at the top, and hot at the bottom. This has been the case for quite a while. I decided that this was probably because the radiators had a lot of air in them and need to be bled. The radiators were working, just very inefficiently.

Also, the pressure gauge on the boiler had way below 1 bar so I decided it needed to have more water added to the system.

In the process of tinkering trying to figure out how to add water to the boiler I tried loosening various little screw-head type valves (?) attached to the water pipes coming in and out of the boiler, thinking that one of these might enable me to top-up the boiler. I wasn't able to turn any of these more than about a quarter turn, so I don't know if that would have done any damage...

Eventually I saw this article and realised that I had to do something with the filling loop. I was finally able to top the boiler up a bit.

I then went around the house bleeding radiators. Only those on the top floor needed bleeding. The others turned out to contain only water. I was unable to bleed one top-floor radiator as it is in a locked room.

I then topped up the boiler a little more so that it was a 1.5 bar when cold.

Then switched on the boiler, set it to constant heating. It does heat up water, and sounds as if something is happening, but the radiators stay cold.

I switched off and unplugged the boiler at the mains, opened it and tried turning the screw in the centre of the pump, thinking perhaps that needed bleeding as well. Only a little water came out though, so I tightened the screw again.

So I'm left with a boiler that heats water, supplies hot water to taps fine, but apparently does not seem to be able to get the hot water to the radiators.

Any suggestions?

Yours freezingly...

Sponsored Links
Are all the isolation valves you messed about with in the open position i.e the groove in vertical position?

Thanks for the rapid response, I will check when I get back home.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Yep, that was the problem. I'd obviously turned off a load of isolation valves while trying to fix it...

"A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing"...

Many thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back