Changed thermocouple, pilot light still goes out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a big old Myson, Midas BF combi boiler
( Prob about 10 - 15 years old). My problem is that the pilot light keeps going out. This happens randomly, usually just as my wife needs hot water !!!
The problem is happening more often. I've changed the thermocouple, but pilot still goes out.
Is it possible that I've positioned the thermocouple too high ?
Or do I need to look at the pilot light itself ?? I'm wondering whether I should have given the pilot light part a clean ??
Any ideas ??

Sponsored Links
might be an overheat interupter on the flow out of heatexchanger causing it to shut off if a pumps on the way out or heatexchangers scaled up? Years since looked in one.

Sponsored Links
Overheat stat see 2 black leads fromback of gas vlave cut and join together pilot stays on go and get newo/h stat

Yes Bab is right, it does have two pumps, it's like a tank!
Cheers for all your suggestions. I'll have a go at the ones I think I can get my head round.
Any other suggestions most welcome.
I'll let you know how I get on.
Watch this space......

Overheat stat see 2 black leads fromback of gas vlave cut and join together pilot stays on go and get newo/h stat

You not suggesting the OP 'bridges' the stat out.....what if s/he does this but doesnt bother to get a new o/h stat or further investigate the cause of pilot failure

You have noticed that he gives advice and encourages DIYers to do gas related work.

He says he is CORGI registered but is not registered for the Combustion Chamber on here!

Thats apart from all his different names and cock and bull stories! He never substantiated his local pub landlord "who was killed by CO poisoning"! Did anyone phone the pub??? I am sure he was just posting that nonsence to encourage people to check on his obviously false claims, very childish!

Tony

alan m 1974

I understand your desire is like mine and that is to get CH and DHW for the cold and the unwashed, but you must take more care over safety issues. a) to avoid people getting injured b) so you dont get sued for negligence.
Remember its not only the OP that reads this topic but many sign in as guests . read what they need and follow the advice they see. I know you can be a cocky lad and like the odd wind up but you have also given some good advice. I dont want to be on your case I am just saying take a bit more care.
I know there is a forum disclaimer but I see it as good practice to point out any traps that diyers are likely to fall into when following advice given on this site. All you needed to do in the above post was to stress 'FOR TESTING PURPOSES ONLY'.
Most of us have slipped up whilst giving advice on here, myself included. Someone usually picks up on it and corrects us with little fuss. Why do you seem to be attracting ridicule?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back