Lack of pressure in only one hot water tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm a newbie and I'm afraid plumbing is not my strong point :oops: The hot water tap in our kitchen has suddenly lost pressure - we have a standard 'stored water' system and all other taps (including the downstairs utility room) are working fine.
I suspect a probem with the tap itself but would appreciate some expert opinions.
If I need to strip the tap down, could you please also tell me how to isolate the supply to this tap? Or do I need to drain the system?

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
you cold have an airlock in the hot pipe or the washer has come off and jammed in the tap.

is the tap opening and closing ok ? just no flow

if this is a mixer tap, firstly i'd attemp to force the mains pressure of the cold water back up the hot supply to the tap.

to do this, first cup 1 hand under the outlet of the tap HARD (if there is a difuser on the end of the outlet, remove this) now open the hot tap fully, the water will not be able to get out past your hands due to lack of pressure. now open cold tap slowly till you feel the water harder against your palm, the cold water has nowhere to go other than jetting out through the gaps in your palm/outlet seal OR up the hot supply. thus pushing out any potential airlocks/debris.

Thanks guys. It seems to have helped a little (after I got a good drenching :LOL: ) but it's still not back to what it was before.
Any further ideas?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Sorry - forgot to reply. Yes, tap is opening and closing without any problem - it's just the flow rate that's reduced.

Cheers

Sometimes when there is a flexi tap connector a washer can get squidged causing a blockage in the pipe.
A bit more info on the type of tap would be useful.
mixer 1 or 2 hole,conventional,quarter turn, ceramic, separate taps, supataps. etc
Post pics if you are totally clueless

The inner liners of flexi tap connectors can collapse and reduce the flow, particularly if they are bent or twisted too much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back