Salus RT500RF Programmable Room Stat Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have fitted one of these stats but cannot figure out how to programme it.I am used to having a timeclock on boiler to control switching times ,but this does not seem to have on or off times just times and temp settings.What i want to do is set it as follows :-
M-F
5.30am ON
7.15am OFF
2.30pm ON
10.00pm OFF
Sat-Sun
6.30am ON
10.30pm OFF

Am out all day so don't really want it on whilst at work , likewise overnight.Also what setting do i need my timeclock on boiler ,have three options 1-Constant 2-Auto 3-Off.
Could anyone explain how the time settings relate to the temp settings.Cheers WW.

Sponsored Links
There is no on and off as such. You program the thing so that various temperatures are set for different times of the day and different days of the week.

if you set the temperature really low for a period when you're out then this is analogous to an 'off' setting.

The clock on the boiler should be set to constant.

Programming instructions are also on the inside of the flappy cover.

Thanks for that have read the instructions on the "flap" but just wasn't sure and was confused with regards to temp settings .So for example if i set

5.30am at 21 degrees it will come ON
7.15am at 6 degrees it will go OFF
2.30pm at 21 degrees it will come ON
10.15pm at 6 degrees it will go OFF.

Should this work , what if the high temps are not reached will it not turn ON. Cheers WW.

Thanks for that have read the instructions on the "flap" but just wasn't sure and was confused with regards to temp settings .So for example if i set

5.30am at 21 degrees it will come ON
7.15am at 6 degrees it will go OFF
2.30pm at 21 degrees it will come ON
10.15pm at 6 degrees it will go OFF.

Should this work , what if the high temps are not reached will it not turn ON. Cheers WW.

Nooooooooo!

Using your example, if at 05:30 the temp is below 21 degrees then the heating will come on and turn itself off if and when this temperature is reached. At 07:15 if the temperature is above 6 degrees then the heating will not come on.

And so on ..........

Sponsored Links
Yes if you want the heating on from 05:30-07:15 and then from 14:30-22:15.

Hi,

The reason I'm on this website is because the salus rt500rf does not switch the Boiler off - unless the temperature is reached. It is on all the time - including during the night, and when you are out - not what I want as I have thermostat radiators anyway, which control the temperature in each room, so I'm selling 2 RT500RF's if anyone wants to buy them. I've reverted to the boiler timer and the radiator thermostats to control the ON/OFF and timing.

If you set a low temperature, say 10 degrees then the boiler is likely to be off unless the weather is extremely cold. So if it goes off at 1500 the room temperature will have to drop to 10 degrees for the boiler to come on.

One very important thing you should be made aware of is power cuts. If there is a cut in power to the RT500RF sender unit for only a second, then the whole unit needs to be reset - from scratch. Not nice during the cold winter nights. The radio frequency needs to be reset on the sender unit and the control panel, setting the jumper links on both units. This means removing the control unit from it's mounting and removing switches on the back of the control panel and resetting them with the jumper link switches on the sender. The cover of the sender needs to be removed and the sender unit removed from the housing, then the jumper link switches need to be reset. The reset button on the control panel needs to be pressed and hopefully both lights on the sender unit will light up. If not the rest button on the control panel needs to be pushed again and look out for both lights to come on on the sender unit. repeat until both lights are lit. This means that the 2 units are linked by radio.
Now all you have to do is remount the control unit and reprogram the control unit from scratch as pressing the reset button has removed any settings previously stored. Each time there is a cut in power the above procedure needs to be followed - not easy if you are not confident in these matters. If you are not confident about these things, get a simple timer and thermostat fitted instead - much simpler and the boiler will always come on automatically when any power cut is restored. Much less stress involved. Good luck - I'm selling 2 of these thermostat units

The reason the stat is coming on during the night/ always being on is setting number 5, there are 5 settings on the Salus

1 is the time you want heating on eg, 07.00 and set the temp (20)

2 is the time you want it to go off eg, 10.00 and set the temp (10 this will turn it off)

3 is the time to come on an evening eg. 17.00 and set the temp (20)

4 is the time you want it to go off eg, 23.00 and set the temp (10 this will turn it off)

5 the problem many people have is that they do not set number 5 correctly, this is a night/ frost stat and if you don't set the time and temperature same as 4 ie, 23.00 and 10*c then the heating will stay on.

I have had quite a few customers who struggle with the instructions so i typed it out in plain English as a word document and give it to them so its easier, if you want send me your e-mail address and i will mail it to you.

Dear wotnotagain, as I work for Salus, the manufacturer of the RT500RF, I want to correct the "cut in power" issue. The RT500RF thermostat is battery powered and needs no action after a power cut whatsoever. It should not be reset. The receiver unit is mains powered and will power-up after a mains failure whithout any interferance. After a mains failure the receiver may remain off for a maximium of 10mins while it waits for the next RF signal from the thermostat. (This can be sent instantly by simply forcing the thermostat off and back on again if desired).

The reason the stat is coming on during the night/ always being on is setting number 5, there are 5 settings on the Salus

1 is the time you want heating on eg, 07.00 and set the temp (20)

2 is the time you want it to go off eg, 10.00 and set the temp (10 this will turn it off)

3 is the time to come on an evening eg. 17.00 and set the temp (20)

4 is the time you want it to go off eg, 23.00 and set the temp (10 this will turn it off)

5 the problem many people have is that they do not set number 5 correctly, this is a night/ frost stat and if you don't set the time and temperature same as 4 ie, 23.00 and 10*c then the heating will stay on.

I have had quite a few customers who struggle with the instructions so i typed it out in plain English as a word document and give it to them so its easier, if you want send me your e-mail address and i will mail it to you.

One very important thing you should be made aware of is power cuts. If there is a cut in power to the RT500RF sender unit for only a second, then the whole unit needs to be reset - from scratch. Not nice during the cold winter nights. The radio frequency needs to be reset on the sender unit and the control panel, setting the jumper links on both units. This means removing the control unit from it's mounting and removing switches on the back of the control panel and resetting them with the jumper link switches on the sender. The cover of the sender needs to be removed and the sender unit removed from the housing, then the jumper link switches need to be reset. The reset button on the control panel needs to be pressed and hopefully both lights on the sender unit will light up. If not the rest button on the control panel needs to be pushed again and look out for both lights to come on on the sender unit. repeat until both lights are lit. This means that the 2 units are linked by radio.
Now all you have to do is remount the control unit and reprogram the control unit from scratch as pressing the reset button has removed any settings previously stored. Each time there is a cut in power the above procedure needs to be followed - not easy if you are not confident in these matters. If you are not confident about these things, get a simple timer and thermostat fitted instead - much simpler and the boiler will always come on automatically when any power cut is restored. Much less stress involved. Good luck - I'm selling 2 of these thermostat units

sorry but all of this is untrue.

Dear wotnotagain, as I work for Salus, the manufacturer of the RT500RF, I want to correct the "cut in power" issue. The RT500RF thermostat is battery powered and needs no action after a power cut whatsoever. It should not be reset. The receiver unit is mains powered and will power-up after a mains failure whithout any interferance. After a mains failure the receiver may remain off for a maximium of 10mins while it waits for the next RF signal from the thermostat. (This can be sent instantly by simply forcing the thermostat off and back on again if desired).

been using the RT500RF for 18 months no probs great unit.

al21 as an employee of salus can you tell us why the re branded salus for grahams (altech) is such a piece of crud?

of last 10 bought 6 went back to merchant

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back