Moving a socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have 2 single sockets in my room, and want to fit a new double socket to the opposite side of the room, whats the easiest way? either:
1. Remove one of the single sockets completely and extend the cable using a terminal block to the new double socket -if so want amp terminal block should i be using?
2. Check that the single socket has 2 wires (spur?)and if so disconnect it from the single socket and wire to a junction box. Then from the JB run cable to both the old single and to the new double
Or am i completely off track? The original sockets are flush in the wall, i dont want to have to hammer into the wall to fit the new cable and box so i'll be using conduit and a suface mounting box for the new socket.

Sponsored Links
you need to figure out the existing wiring before we go any further

first check in the CU where the cuircuit starts

if its a 20A breaker with one 2.5mm cable then you can just go ahead and spur from the existing socket no matter how many cables are at the socket and you should wire your spur in 2.5mm cable

if its a 32A breaker with one 4mm cable then you can just go ahead and spur from the existing socket no matter how many cables are at the socket and you should wire your spur in 4mm cable

if its a 32A breaker with 2 cables then it is most likely a ring however you need to check to make sure by disconnecting the lives from the breaker and testing for continuity with a multimeter

if you have 2 cables and its not a ring (ie there is no continuity between the live wires) then seek further help

assuming its a ring check how many cables there are into the socket

if just the one then its a spur and you cannot run another socket while leaving it there but you sould use terminal block behind a blanking plate and extend the spur cable (using 2.5mm) to your new socket

if two then its probablly on the ring but you need to disconnect the cables and do a continuity test like you did at the CU

if its not on the ring seek further advice

if its on the ring you can spur from it to your new socket using 2.5mm cable

if there are 3 wires then its on the ring and already supply in a spur. while you can spur from it it will be a tight squeese in the back box

I don't believe that taking more than one spur from the same point on a circuit is good practice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back