new light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just fitted a downlighter into my bathroom using an existing light point. I now want to add two new downlighters in the bathroom, with all 3 lights running off the same switch. How would I do this? I live in a flat so do not have access to the ceiling area and hence cannot lift floorboards to find the existing wiring. Also, should I extend the wiring from the existing fitting (and if so what would I need to do that?), or should I try to locate the existing junction box to wire from that, or should I create a new junction box. Any advice would be much appreciated.

[Edited by MattLaffar on 18-11-2002 at 14:49 PM GMT]

Sponsored Links
Parallel-ing the feeds from the lamp holder / transformer of the existing fitting should be ok, but unless you are putting the new fittings between the same joists as the first, you'll need to make a big enough hole to get a drill through.

Most flat leases allow for reasonable access to nieghbour's property for maintenance - although you have to put everything back exactly as you found it at your expanse - just don't tell them it is additional fittings as this would not be maintenance, but improvements and unlikely to be allowed. Might be easier to reboard the ceiling.

When you say down lighter, I assume you mean some sort of recessed light fitting? If so, check is there sufficient ventilation through the ceiling to avoid the thing overheating. They make special downlighters for bathrooms which are sealed againat moisture and so lack even the slight ventilation the normal ones have.

Thanks for the reply. I am new to electrical wiring so am not sure what a transformer is, and its purpose. How does it differ from a terminal block? I'll be installing recessed downlighters as you say, and both are only about 30cm either side of the existing one, so hopefully there are no roof joists in the way. Instead of going to the flat above (as an aside it is a brand new block of flats and has concrete floors throughout), I was wondering if I could take the existing light out (which I've just put up) and somehow run the feeds from that fitting to the new ones. Is this where I would need a transformer? Our new flat came with normal rose ceiling lights, but many in the block do have recessed spots, so I think the roof void has been designed to accept spots in bathrooms.

Sponsored Links
If the lamp is low voltage, there would be a transformer, if your lamp is mains voltage, there is not one. If you do have low voltage lights you need to connect the transformer inputs together not the fittings.

What you need to do is connect the Live from all the fittings (or transformers if the lamps are low voltage) together to the switched feed, all the Neutrals together from the supply and all of the earths together. If the fittings are metal you must make sure earths are connected.

Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back