I would like to fit my own stuff !!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly hello to all on my arrival here, it looks like a really helpful site and as we have just bought our first house its going to be invaluable I think.

All my windows and doors/french doors need replacing,there old draughty and the vaacums have gone in a lot of them.

Question ..... Do I get hold of the windows and fit myself or is it just as cheap to go to the big double glazing companys and have them do the lot.

Looking at 8 windows, 1 door and french doors.

What do you reckon ? ........ Thanks

Sponsored Links
I bought a serious renovation property 3 years ago (stillon-going) & if your having all the windows replaced (as I did) or a significant number of them, it’s not worth the hassle of sourcing the windows & fitting them yourself.

If you DIY & have not done it before you have to go through the learning curve - it’s not difficult but 2 windows a day! Then you’re stuck with notifying LABC, paying for the inspection to get a certificate of compliance (which you need) & you wont get the benefit of an independent 10 year warranty. Fitting charges for a competitive, local company will be £50 - £80 per unit (windows/ French doors); they can get good/top quality units (I have Rahau) far cheaper than you will have any chance of getting them yourself & if there’s a problem, they will come back & fix it! Personally I would never use any of the large nationally advertised companies (except as a guide); very few companies make their own windows anymore & you will probably end up getting the same units that the established, local boys use but at a much higher price; but possibly installed by dodgy, self employed fitters who don’t give a flying fig about your installation cos it won’t be their problem!

Get lots of quotes (I had 11 which I whittled down to 3 without too much trouble!), look carefully at the product & trust your gut instinct regarding the supplier (carp, waffle etc.). My contract included a load of other work which I wanted to let to a single contractor; the total for the whole project was a lot of money but I can honestly say that my experience with the local guys was excellent; the cost was competitive &, overall (apart from the odd row), the experience was very good. I have posted on another thread regarding budget prices so have a look & see what you think but, IMHO, DIY on anything other than one or two windows is a waste of time & probably money! Oh & give them as little cash up front as you can get away with; 10% if you can but no more than 20%.

Thanks for the reply Richard. I have probably made huge mistake here but see what you think.

Had lots of quotes for 8 windows(5 of which are large 1800), Double door both with half glass and quality locking sytems, and sliding patio doors.

Best I got was from Safestyle UK,the quality was excellent with great locking systems, chrome handles and quality K glass, comes with the 10 year guarantee. They fit using there own fitters I am now pleased to know after what you said.

The price £5500. ouch i hear you say !!!

The money was in the door and patio sections

Safestyle use Plastmo frames, they have a sister company Tradestyle that supply frames... the same frames they use, all from another sister company, Windowstyle.

You may find that some local smaller installers buy their windows from tradestyle (I do) so if you like them your on a winner, using Safestyle will be a lottery, they will have good fitters and some, er, not so good fitters.

Your choice, altho' I'm an smaller independent installer, I would say go with a smaller installer and avoid the big boys (Safestyle turn over in excess of 100million a year, thats pretty big no?)

Sponsored Links
Order cancelled !!

Thanks for your input, will look into using a smaller local company.

Will I get a cheaper quote, like the idea of them being on the doorstep to deal with problems etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back