hanging kitchen units on stone wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to hang some kitchen wall units which have those nifty adjustable hangers which hang on steel brackets screwed to the wall.

The trouble is the wall is made of random yorkshire sandstone, covered by less than an inch of plaster. Judging by other walls where the stone is exposed, the blocks are up to a foot wide and high.

Trying to drill 7mm rawlplug holes in the stone with my domestic hammer drill and a normal (new) masonry bit gets nowhere at all. After a few minutes, the tip of the bit is completely worn away and there's no hole in the stone! I've tried a pilot hole with a 4mm bit, this is no better.

Seems i have two options: (1) get a better drill/bit, or (2) take a large amount of plaster off and look for mortar joints to attach some kind of batten, then re-plaster.

Option 2 sound horrible, so can anyone tell me how to drill the stone? Do I need an SDS drill or something?

Many thanks Phil.

Sponsored Links
SDS drill will do it, I use any drill bit.
A hammer drill will not put a scratch on stone.

Very many thanks bodgeit, I nipped out to B&Q and got a 1500W SDS drill for £60.

This thing is brilliant! It goes straight through rock. It doesn't even make a nasty noise.

Now I'll have my units on the wall in no time.

Phil.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back