DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Vokera Compact 28, Red Light on, locking out & not firin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulrushton

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:59 pm Reply with quote

The red light came on, on our Vokera boiler yesterday. When i try to reset it as it says in the manual, nothing is happening. Just before it ignites it locks out again & won't fire up. We have no hot water or central heating at the moment. Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be or has anyone else had a similar problem with their Vokera & how it was fixed? We just don't want to call anyone from the Yellow pages who wants to make a lot of money from a very minor repair! Especially when we don't have a clue about boilers ourselves.
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
paulrushton

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:30 pm Reply with quote

Its a Compact SE 28 model.
 Alert Moderators
paulrushton

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:02 pm Reply with quote

I've been told it may be one of two things. A PCB or a Gas valve that's gone. Obviously I wont be touching the gas side of things but is there a way of testing to try and rule one or both of these out.

Thanks
 Alert Moderators
sooey

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:09 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
We just don't want to call anyone from the Yellow pages who wants to make a lot of money from a very minor repair! Especially when we don't have a clue about boilers ourselves.

How can somebody who states that they have no clue about boiers then state that their problem will be a very minor repair? icon_lol.gif
 Alert Moderators
wishiwascorgi

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:16 pm Reply with quote

I have one of these boilers in my house and this lock out happens regularly. I have found that if you cut main power to it for 10 minutes and then turn it on again it resets and works ok until the next lockout.

Turn off at the fused spur and leave for 30 minutes.

It turned out to be the air pressure switch that was failing, so who ever gave you the advice that it is pcb or gas valve could be after making money out of you.

Get a second opinion. icon_wink.gif
 Alert Moderators
paulrushton

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:16 pm Reply with quote

sooey wrote:
Quote:
We just don't want to call anyone from the Yellow pages who wants to make a lot of money from a very minor repair! Especially when we don't have a clue about boilers ourselves.

How can somebody who states that they have no clue about boiers then state that their problem will be a very minor repair? icon_lol.gif

What I meant by that was if it's something like a thermistor that needs replacing and we are going to be charged a fortune for a call out and then the part etc then I would change it myself. I'm sure you've seen the BBC house of horrors where you get cowboys in charging a fortune for hours and hours of labour for a basic repair. We just dont want to get stung for a huge bill for something that may be a simple repair.
 Alert Moderators
paulrushton

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:17 pm Reply with quote

wishiwascorgi wrote:
I have one of these boilers in my house and this lock out happens regularly. I have found that if you cut main power to it for 10 minutes and then turn it on again it resets and works ok until the next lockout.

Turn off at the fused spur and leave for 30 minutes.

It turned out to be the air pressure switch that was failing, so who ever gave you the advice that it is pcb or gas valve could be after making money out of you.

Get a second opinion. icon_wink.gif

Thanks for that i'll try it now.
 Alert Moderators
paulrushton

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:16 pm Reply with quote

Well tried that and still nothing, it still wont light.

I have spoken to an engineer who is coming out tommorrow adn he also thinks it could either the PCB, ignition board (which goes onto the PCB) or the gas valve.
 Alert Moderators
paulrushton

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:52 pm Reply with quote

Just to finsish off this post, it was the ignition board, as soon as it was replaced it fired up like a good un!
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: