Downlights and loft insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My new home has downlights set into the ceiling and no loft insulation over the top. I think this is because they are not sealed - they look like the cheap and chearful "Adjustable Downlight Satin Nickel MR16" from screwfix. The result of which is that my ceiling leaks heat like a sieve.

I want to lag my loft but don't know whether I should:

a) replace the fittings with sealed, fire resistant fittings at great expense and then lag over the top,

b) cover each fitting with a ceramic plant pot and then lag over everything. I was advised to do this, but don't know if it's wise.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers,
A Damsel In Distress

Sponsored Links
I have had a similar dilemma in a development I am undertaking.

The fire vapour and thermal seal caps in the link below have been recommended to me, this is what I am going with you can lay your insulation over the top and also get a vapour barrier which will prevent your roof trusses from premature rotting caused by condensation!

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...ire_and_Smoke/Fire_Cover_Downlight/index.html

I have heard plant pots suggested but hey plant pots are for planting plants in aren't they :)

Fire hoods are designed for the prevention of spread of fire.

That's it. They are not designed for any other purpose, including being insulationed over.

Downlighters generate tremendous amounts of heat. Insulating over them will mean that this heat can not dissipate into the ceiling void, and fittings, transformers, connectors etc will start to fail very quickly.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the suggestions, it's a bit clearer now.

I'll get some of those fire covers and insulate around, but not over, them.

Thanks again! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back