Suggestions please for pulley system for high windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
G'day all,
OK, a bit of a head-scratcher:

I'm restoring an old cottage that has fairly unusual windows. There are very few at normal sash height -- most of the windows are actually tucked up at the top of the walls against the ceiling, in every room. The base of each window is roughly 3 metres above the floor, and set back from the wall in a horizontal well maybe 20 centimetres deep.

Each of the windows is mounted on pivot rods, one on each side of the window, that extend out horizontally halfway up the frame. So they don't lift vertically, they tilt inwards, down to about 130 degrees from the vertical.

I'm putting in insect screens, but the only way I can see to fix them is to place them at the inside edge of each window well, flush with the wall surface, so that the window is actually outside the screen. If I can't open the windows, I'll get very little airflow through the house. And without the screens, I'll just be eaten alive by mossies.

Now, my question:

As it stands, the only way to open and shut a window is to position a ladder and climb up. Once the house is complete and occupied, that procedure is going to expand to moving some furniture, positioning a ladder, climbing up, removing the insect screen, and opening or shutting the window. Then putting everything back the way it was, and then repeating the process for the next window.

What a pain!

So I need another approach. I was thinking perhaps some sort of counterweighted pulley system -- something in keeping visually with the 1840s era I'm restoring the house to -- might be the best solution, so the windows could be worked from normal human height, without the need for the ladder, but I've come to a standstill trying to devise the mechanism. It needs to both open and close the window, and fix it in place at whatever angle's been chosen. And it needs to work with the insect screen still in place.

(Long post, sorry -- just trying to explain clearly what it is I'm trying to do.)

So, has anyone got any suggestions please for how this might be achieved?

I'm happy to tinker bits together -- I just haven't managed to visualise a functional design yet!

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Each of the windows is mounted on pivot rods, one on each side of the window, that extend out horizontally halfway up the frame. So they don't lift vertically, they tilt inwards, down to about 130 degrees from the vertical.

This sounds to me like a Hopper Window.

very popular in late Victorian schools as it can be opened for ventilation without letting rain in

Usual method is with a wooden pole having a brass hook at the end. Windows designed for use with such a pole have a ring set in the opening/latching handle. the hook is "S" shaped so that it has a pulling side and a pushing side.

this sort of pole is also used for awnings.

Better quality public buildings had a cog drive on the window operating a toothed bar, operated by turning a handle at convenient height on the wall below which turned a wall-mounted rod.

p.s. if you are restoring an old Australian cottage have a look at my friend Bob's site - he may know someone who has windows like yours
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~pcottage/

can you not affix the screens to the outside face of the frame just clear of the fully closed window!!!
G'day big-all,
No, unfortunately I can't -- the windows are flush with the outside wall of the house, and as they pivot, the bottom of the window needs to move outwards for the top to be able to tilt in -- there's nowhere to fix the screen and still have the window able to open.

I'm checking out the website you gave the link to, though. Thanks for that!

Sponsored Links
also known as a fanlight pole hook
p1966261_l.jpg

very popular in late Victorian schools as it can be opened for ventilation without letting rain in
Ahh thanks, having a name for the type of window will help me immensely.

Usual method is with a wooden pole having a brass hook at the end. Windows designed for use with such a pole have a ring set in the opening/latching handle. the hook is "S" shaped so that it has a pulling side and a pushing side.
Problem is that without some sort of counterweight on these windows, they just swivel fully open or fully shut again, depending on how the wind catches them.

And the pole isn't going to work while the screens are in place. And the screens are absolutely must-have: after a couple of weeks woring in the place, I'm sick from the amount of mosquito-spit swimming round my system, and my legs and arms are just a solid mass of red bumps.

Better quality public buildings had a cog drive on the window operating a toothed bar, operated by turning a handle at convenient height on the wall below which turned a wall-mounted rod.
That has possibilities. But the ones I've seen so far all look very swish post-Millennium powder-coated aluminium ... not what I was hoping for at all. And again, the screen will be the problem.

p.s. if you are restoring an old Australian cottage have a look at my friend Bob's site - he may know someone who has windows like yours
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~pcottage/[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll check it out.

Hmmm, I've done some exploring, and no, it's not. Hopper windows are hinged at the bottom, and tilt inwards.

These windows pivot on a point half-way up each side of the frame, so as the top of the window tilts inwards, the bottom of the window tilts outwards.

I've never seen anything like them, and haven't found any reference to anything similar in my reading or researching. That's partly why I'm having such trouble finding a solution to suit.

can you not affix the screens to the outside face of the frame just clear of the fully closed window!!!
G'day big-all,
No, unfortunately I can't -- the windows are flush with the outside wall of the house, and as they pivot, the bottom of the window needs to move outwards for the top to be able to tilt in -- there's nowhere to fix the screen and still have the window able to open.

I'm checking out the website you gave the link to, though. Thanks for that!

half the screen inside and half outside!!!
fully open the window affix the screen inside and out touching the opening
close the window and work out a how to fill the 1" or so gap left left at the pivot point of the opening when you shut the window

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back